• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Commited person willing to program game (design, set up story...)

This topic is 2348 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am completely new in the idea of programing. Although I do know a bit from HTML and Python, I was wondering what should I do to be good in programming.

For example, I would like to ask these questions, and if they are already putted, can I get a link to it.

1.) What programs should I be starting to do?

2.) Is blender a good program?

3.) How do I get better in designing games?

4.) What books should I buy or watch videos on programming?

I want to learn as much as possible so I could be a game designer, but I'm 15, and I want to start learning now then later

Advertisement
You should read these:
http://archive.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/
http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=rules&f=31
http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx

By way of support, I started programming games in 1985 when I was 12. They were just simple little games that were fun to me and my brothers, but doing that made it possible to ace programming courses in higher education, land a good paying job quickly and has kept me fed since.

Don't feel you have to start off with the hard stuff - you've plenty of time to work up to it. And have fun with it, as the payoffs are out there.

Whatever you do, DO NOT GET INTO PROGRAMMING SOLELY FOR THE GOOD MONEY THAT IT CAN PAY YOU. YOU WILL FAIL MISERABLY.

1.) What programs should I be starting to do?

Start very small and once you have read some on basic programming in whatever language you chose, some of the easier start projects are text based adventure games.
Or even common things that have nothing to do with games like a simple text based calculator or guess the number game.

2.) Is blender a good program?

Blender is good but the learning curve is pretty hefty

3.) How do I get better in designing games?

By designing games =)

4.) What books should I buy or watch videos on programming?

Personally I don't learn much from watching programming video's
I don't have any recommendations specifically for books but you want to first decide on your language and get a beginner book.

Whatever you do, DO NOT GET INTO PROGRAMMING SOLELY FOR THE GOOD MONEY THAT IT CAN PAY YOU. YOU WILL FAIL MISERABLY.

Hmmmm, never knew people do it for the money.

[quote name='Nice Try' timestamp='1316102098' post='4862112']

Hmmmm, never knew people do it for the money.
[/quote]
Good! Then you can disregard Nice Try's post. :cool:

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement