• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tfinck

SDL Help

This topic is 2531 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there, I've been learning SDL lately, and trying to make a function to optimize images for output, but I'm having some problems.

Firstly, this is the function that I have

SDL_Surface *load_image(std::string filename)
{
//Temporary storage for the image that's loaded
SDL_Surface* loadedImage = NULL;

//The optimized image that will be used
SDL_Surface* optimizedImage = NULL;

//Load the image
loadedImage = SDL_LoadBMP( filename.c_str() );

//If nothing went wrong in loading the image
if( loadedImage != NULL )
{
//Create an optimized image
optimizedImage = SDL_DisplayFormat( loadedImage );

//Free the old image
SDL_FreeSurface( loadedImage );
}

//Return the optimized image
return optimizedImage;

Now this seems all good and whatnot, but I get these errors.

C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Desktop\SDLg1\MiniSpriteGameSDL\main.c|17|error: syntax error before ':' token|
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Desktop\SDLg1\MiniSpriteGameSDL\main.c||In function `load_image':|
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Desktop\SDLg1\MiniSpriteGameSDL\main.c|26|error: `filename' undeclared (first use in this function)|
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Desktop\SDLg1\MiniSpriteGameSDL\main.c|26|error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once|
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Desktop\SDLg1\MiniSpriteGameSDL\main.c|26|error: for each function it appears in.)|
||=== Build finished: 4 errors, 0 warnings ===|

I honestly have been scratching my head at it for a while :\

Advertisement
Yes, I did. And I actually managed to get rid of the majority of problems. (simply changed the load_image(std::string filename to load_image(char* filename) and removed the c_str as it was pointless. I think the tutorial I'm following is fairly old, and some of the functionality must be broken (not the first problem I've had with it).

Thanks for the reply though!

[font="Courier New"]
C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Desktop\SDLg1\MiniSpriteGameSDL\[color=red]main.c|17|error: syntax error before ':' token|
[/font]

Wait, main.c? Are you using C or C++? If you're compiling main.c as a C source, then it's no wonder why std::string wouldn't work... :P

I have a better idea: Stay with SDL You'll be glad you did. it's so much better than SFML

I have a better idea: Stay with SDL You'll be glad you did. it's so much better than SFML

Either you're poking fun at me for not providing details and you don't believe this...
or
You haven't spent more than 1 minute looking at what SFML provides and what SDL provides if you think it isn't worth him learning SFML.

I looked at SFML too, and yeah, it is a lot better.

[color="#006600"][font="Courier,"]1/ Test : sprites
SDL displayed 9 frames
SFML displayed 303 frames
--> SFML is 3366% faster than SDL

2/ Test : alpha-blended sprites
SDL displayed 5 frames
SFML displayed 216 frames
--> SFML is 4320% faster than SDL

3/ Test : rotating sprites
SDL displayed 3 frames
SFML displayed 277 frames
--> SFML is 9233% faster than SDL

4/ Test : static text
SDL displayed 416 frames
SFML displayed 6092 frames
--> SFML is 1464% faster than SDL

5/ Test : dynamic text
SDL displayed 363 frames
SFML displayed 948 frames
--> SFML is 261% faster than SDL[/font]
[/quote]

Seems much faster, but I thought I'd learn both anyways, just to broaden horizon a bit.

Seems much faster, but I thought I'd learn both anyways, just to broaden horizon a bit.

You can make SDL a little faster in that benchmark by making sure the surfaces are in the correct format. SDL_rotozoom is not even meant to be used like that because it's known to be slow. The biggest reason why SFML is faster is because it uses OpenGL. One of the things I don't like about SFML is that it doesn't give you the low level control that SDL does. Is it even possible to do pixel perfect software rendering in an efficient way in SFML? Why on earth does sf::Sleep take float and not an integer? I don't going to say that SDL is better but I think it's not as easy as saying one is better than the other. It depends on what you want to do and what your preferences are.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!