• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MrAsia

New to game programming

This topic is 2441 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've chosen the java programming language as my tool for this task. Where do I start? There doesn't seem to be a general way to create a game.

For my first project for practice and knowledge, I've decided to create a "pokemon" game engine/game.

How would I go about this?

Would I create separate classes for things like terrain generation and menus?

What MAKES up a game?

I want to take a modular approach to this but I'm guessing the moment a game starts up, some kind of terrain generator class starts loading up the setting..

Please help

-Newbie.

Advertisement

I've chosen the java programming language as my tool for this task. Where do I start? There doesn't seem to be a general way to create a game.

For my first project for practice and knowledge, I've decided to create a "pokemon" game engine/game.

What MAKES up a game?

I want to take a modular approach to this but I'm guessing the moment a game starts up, some kind of terrain generator class starts loading up the setting..

Please help

-Newbie.

As newbie making a game engine isn't an easy task. There're many aspects of game programming where you need some insign to get it working, like sound rendering, graphic rendering, AI, resource management, input handling, general engine architecture etc. A good start for a newbie would be an existing engine like UDK which handles almost everything with a very strong tool support, or a mod of an already existing game. You can see something very early in game development and using the unreal script language could be a good start to learn some programming languages.

[quote name='MrAsia' timestamp='1316059276' post='4861882']

What MAKES up a game?

Please help

-Newbie.

As newbie making a game engine isn't an easy task. There're many aspects of game programming where you need some insign to get it working, like sound rendering, graphic rendering, AI, resource management, input handling, general engine architecture etc. A good start for a newbie would be an existing engine like UDK which handles almost everything with a very strong tool support, or a mod of an already existing game. You can see something very early in game development and using the unreal script language could be a good start to learn some programming languages.
[/quote]

I think the UDK might be a bit too hard for a newbie. If the OP has Starcraft 2, making a conversion mod will be easier I think. It helps understand for example the difference between units and actors (data and representation), as well as give an insight into scripting with XML, and the various triggers and actions that can be done in the game state.

Then again I only have a couple of small 2D games under my belt, so you might know better. :D

Are you new to just game development, or programming in general? Your questions suggest the latter, but I'll wait for you to answer before I give advice or make suggestions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!