• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

OpenSceneGraph

This topic is 2345 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
That depends for what?
I would argue for OSG if you need rending across network and good support for OpenGL ES or very good support for multi threaded rendering.
But if you want more then a graphics engine, go for Ogre.

That depends for what?
I would argue for OSG if you need rending across network and good support for OpenGL ES or very good support for multi threaded rendering.
But if you want more then a graphics engine, go for Ogre.

thanks

Ogre. OSG is a pain in the ass to use. Very cluttered API and almost no documentation. The vast majority of the methods isn't documented at all.

Ogre. OSG is a pain in the ass to use. Very cluttered API and almost no documentation. The vast majority of the methods isn't documented at all.

If you know OpenGL then OSG is straight forward to use and its documentation are the examples as well as the standard opengl documentation. But yes for getting a game fast up and running OGRE is the choice.

I've used both OSG (in work) and Ogre3D and I think for a game Ogre3D will be a better choice for games. OSG is OpenGL only, Ogre3D has renderers for OGL and DX and as far I know there isn't possibility to add custom scene managers in OSG (it has only one scene graph and is expendable by plugins). The pluses of OSG is that it can handle exotic displays (several screens) and rendering through network. I've seen simulations that ran on three screens, which one had something about 3m in height by several machines connected to projector, one was master the other were slaves. I haven't seen anything similar with Ogre3D and for example DX renderer (but I could miss something certainly, because some simulators has used Ogre3D too). In case of problems with documentation there is OSG forum (alot of people uses it) and main author behind OSG (Robert Osfield) responses very frequently, so support is great. Ogre3D forums are very good too.

Ogre3D is more frequently updated than OpenSceneGraph (you need get access to OSG code repositories to get the latest versions and fixes). Both engines are good for commercial work, although Ogre3D seems to be better architected in some parts and easier expendable if you need that (but it's mine opinion). OSG is also engine of choice of for simulation industry, so it has some features not present in other engines (there are reasons why it is used).

As far I know both Openscenegraph and Ogre support multithreaded rendering, but I cannot say anything about eventual problems or bugs. Openscenegraph should be rock solid in this area, Ogre3D had some problems in the past, but I think that it could be fixed long ago.

If it comes about pipelines (moving content to engine) Ogre3D has more options I think and they are better documented.

I've used both OSG (in work) and Ogre3D and I think for a game Ogre3D will be a better choice for games. OSG is OpenGL only, Ogre3D has renderers for OGL and DX and as far I know there isn't possibility to add custom scene managers in OSG (it has only one scene graph and is expendable by plugins). The pluses of OSG is that it can handle exotic displays (several screens) and rendering through network. I've seen simulations that ran on three screens, which one had something about 3m in height by several machines connected to projector, one was master the other were slaves. I haven't seen anything similar with Ogre3D and for example DX renderer (but I could miss something certainly, because some simulators has used Ogre3D too). In case of problems with documentation there is OSG forum (alot of people uses it) and main author behind OSG (Robert Osfield) responses very frequently, so support is great. Ogre3D forums are very good too.

Ogre3D is more frequently updated than OpenSceneGraph (you need get access to OSG code repositories to get the latest versions and fixes). Both engines are good for commercial work, although Ogre3D seems to be better architected in some parts and easier expendable if you need that (but it's mine opinion). OSG is also engine of choice of for simulation industry, so it has some features not present in other engines (there are reasons why it is used).

As far I know both Openscenegraph and Ogre support multithreaded rendering, but I cannot say anything about eventual problems or bugs. Openscenegraph should be rock solid in this area, Ogre3D had some problems in the past, but I think that it could be fixed long ago.

If it comes about pipelines (moving content to engine) Ogre3D has more options I think and they are better documented.

thank you very much!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement