• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
InfiniPixel

iPhone development beginner

This topic is 2438 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a total programming beginner, but I'm very interested in learning iPhone development. I feel like I could learn better by editing some code, rather than writing it from scratch, so I'm mostly looking for help finding resources.

For my first learning experience, I'd like to develop an endless sidescroller. First off, I'd appreciate some links to free programs I can use for iPhone game development on my PC. Also, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find start-up kits for an endless sidescroller (so that I could do more editing than writing, and would have a format to work with).

Thank you all for your help.

TouchGamer

Advertisement
Well you would need a Mac to begin with and you would also need to learn objective-c which is not the best language to learn for a beginner. Once you do know it though I suggest you look into an engine called, cocos2d for iPhone, as I have seen many games made with this

Marmalade SDK is the new name for Airplay SDK which I downloaded to try and learn development for touch phones using a PC. I haven't gotten into it much but it did come with sample code for a falling blocks sort of game.

But if you really are a "total programming beginner" any sort of game programming whether it's on a touch phone or a PC is probably more advanced than what you're ready for. Take the time to learn the basics and when you're ready you'll know what you're really looking for and how to find it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!