• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
redneon

Building Projection Matrix Manually

This topic is 2438 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I hope I'm posting this in the correct section of the forum...
For years I've just use the utilities provided by OpenGL to build projection matrices and camera look at matrices for me. I've recently started writing my own maths library as I'm wanting to remove all deprecated OpenGL functions from my code. So after reading this book I understand and have a fully working vector and matrix classes (3x3 and 4x4) that are column major and pre-multiplied. This book doesn't mention much at all about the graphics side though so I'm looking for some other good books or documentation that would show me how to build projection matrices from scratch, preferably focused towards right handed coordinate systems and column vectors.

I did think about looking at the MesaGL code for gluPerspective, glOrtho and gluLookAt etc. but, although I'm sure that would work, I want to understand why they're doing what they're doing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!