2D Game Engine, Simulation Based Games Possible?

Started by
8 comments, last by sunandshadow 12 years, 7 months ago
I was just wondering is it possible to make a 2D Game Engine in which it will allow to serve needs of a virtual anime based simulation game? imagine a virtual simulation game with graphics that would look like an anime based simulation game? if so are there any game engines that can do that or do i have to make a 2D game engine on my own?

The game i had as an idea would be based on character creation,action and adventure so what you think is it possible to make a such a game like that?
Advertisement

I was just wondering is it possible to make a 2D Game Engine in which it will allow to serve needs of a virtual anime based simulation game? imagine a virtual simulation game with graphics that would look like an anime based simulation game? if so are there any game engines that can do that or do i have to make a 2D game engine on my own?

The game i had as an idea would be based on character creation,action and adventure so what you think is it possible to make a such a game like that?

What language are you working with? I know a few 2D Game engines but most of them are in C++, C#, or Java. (Or Lua!)
It's certainly possible to do this. The style of the graphics has nothing to do with the way the game engine works under the hood: most any 2D game engine would likely suffice. I'm afraid I don't have any examples though, the only game engines I've ever worked with were 3D, and I wouldn't consider myself even remotely an expert on game engines.

You are probably not going to find anything that does most of what you want out of the box though. Anime style character creation, is something you're almost certainly going to have to build yourself on top of the game engine.
Success requires no explanation. Failure allows none.

[quote name='TotalGamer' timestamp='1316082840' post='4862004']

What language are you working with? I know a few 2D Game engines but most of them are in C++, C#, or Java. (Or Lua!)
[/quote]

Well i do prerfer C++even Lua isnt that bad, but not Java, sorry if i am going to say this, but you know which language do you think is going to pull off for the project i had in mind?
The language is thoroughly irrelevant. Use whatever you know/like best. Flip a coin. Doesn't matter.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

You mean like the 2D harvest moon games? Those are 2D farming sims. Or like Fish Tycoon? That is not anime but cartoon is quite similar, it is a 2D fish breeding and selling sim. But if you mean sim like The Sims, that pretty much has to be 2.5D - 2D graphics positioned in a 3D environment.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

You mean like the 2D harvest moon games? Those are 2D farming sims. Or like Fish Tycoon? That is not anime but cartoon is quite similar, it is a 2D fish breeding and selling sim. But if you mean sim like The Sims, that pretty much has to be 2.5D - 2D graphics positioned in a 3D environment.

Not qutie like the harvest moon games more like the sims in way, but differently, once players create there own anime favorite characters, they will go on missions witiin the game the missions will be more like quests, i wouldnt mind some of examples of a 2D engine based on a simulation game if they are any, i was thinking of unity, but unifty engine doesnt fit my idea.

[quote name='KeyGames' timestamp='1316094602' post='4862070']

[/quote]

Well i do prerfer C++even Lua isnt that bad, but not Java, sorry if i am going to say this, but you know which language do you think is going to pull off for the project i had in mind?
[/quote]

The language doesn't matter as long as you know how to use it! http://fifengine.net/ is a nice looking engine for C++ (I've never used it personally) and http://love2d.org/ is good for Lua. What graphics style are you going for?

[quote name='TotalGamer' timestamp='1316127853' post='4862253']
[quote name='KeyGames' timestamp='1316094602' post='4862070']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The language doesn't matter as long as you know how to use it! http://fifengine.net/ is a nice looking engine for C++ (I've never used it personally) and http://love2d.org/ is good for Lua. What graphics style are you going for?
[/quote]

I would prefer graphics to be something like in the Age of Empires Online just a bit, that kind of style i was looking for, although a bit differently.

I know some people here would hate me for saying that, but thats the style i am looking for since i do have an idea and project for an intersting simulation game.

[quote name='sunandshadow' timestamp='1316136896' post='4862283']

Not qutie like the harvest moon games more like the sims in way, but differently, once players create there own anime favorite characters, they will go on missions witiin the game the missions will be more like quests, i wouldnt mind some of examples of a 2D engine based on a simulation game if they are any, i was thinking of unity, but unifty engine doesnt fit my idea.
[/quote]

If you want a sidescrolling world you can do it in 2D. Maplestory is an MMO which has 2D anime-style graphics and quests. If you want something that plays like the 2D zelda games, those are 2D anime action/adventure games. That can easily be combined with gameplay from the 2D harvest moons because they are similar. If you look at Super Nintendo games, those are 100% 2D so anything that's in a SNES game you can do with a 2D engine. Then, your last option is isometric - a game like Dofus has 2D anime characters running around an isometric world doing quests and things. To the best of my knowledge that is done with a 2D engine.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement