experminental shader extensions

Started by
7 comments, last by Aks9 12 years, 7 months ago
i wanna try the GL_EXT_shader_image_load_store extension, but my graphics card only supports
OpenGL 3.3 (Ati mobility 4650)

the extension is not in the extension string and glew doesnt load it normally but when i set glewExperimental to true, it says GL_EXT_shader_image_load_store is supported.
the functions also do have a valid entry point.

unfortunately that wasnt true for the shader since

#extension GL_EXT_shader_image_load_store : enable

didnt compile sad.gif

long story short, does anyone know how to enable experimental driver functionality for shaders?
------------------------------
Join the revolution and get a free donut!
Advertisement

i wanna try the GL_EXT_shader_image_load_store extension, but my graphics card only supports
OpenGL 3.3 (Ati mobility 4650)

the extension is not in the extension string and glew doesnt load it normally but when i set glewExperimental to true, it says GL_EXT_shader_image_load_store is supported.
the functions also do have a valid entry point.

unfortunately that wasnt true for the shader since

#extension GL_EXT_shader_image_load_store : enable

didnt compile sad.gif

long story short, does anyone know how to enable experimental driver functionality for shaders?

You need to have OpenGL 4.2 or better if you want to use this extension. That's troubles me too because I have only version 3.2 and my video card doesn't catch in series which support this extension. :(

[color="#1C2837"]You need to have OpenGL 4.2 or better if you want to use this extension.[/quote]
[color="#1C2837"]are you sure? because why would AMD/ATI add the functions to the driver if it can never be supported? the ATI 4650 is a DX10/GL3.3 card so itll never have GL4.2 because its lacking the hardware
[color="#1C2837"]
[color="#1C2837"]EDIT: you could be right tho...
[color="#1C2837"]GL_MAX_IMAGE_UNITS_EXT is 0 =((
It doesn't matter if driver exports some functions. Main thing to check is GL_EXTENSIONS string with glGetString (or glGetStringi if you are on >= GL3 core). If extension name is in that string, then your driver and video card supports this extension. If it is not there - then it won't work for your driver/card combination.

The answer is quite simple: You have to buy a SM5.0 graphics card and install GL 4.2 drivers.

Radeon HD 4650 is based on RV730. That GPU is only SM4.0 compatible.

i once used geometry shaders on 2.1 drivers through glewExperimental
You can use whatever your card supports. Since it was SM4.0 card you could use geometry shaders through extensions even if the version of OpenGL was 2.1.

i once used geometry shaders on 2.1 drivers through glewExperimental

GLEW's job is to get function pointers. It doesn't do anything else.
glewExperimental is a hack to overcome it's forward compatible context issue

http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Extension_Loading_Library
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Since it has not been announced elsewhere (at least I haven't seen), SM4.0 GPUs don't support the following extensions (part of GL 4.2):

- GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment
- GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters
- GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store

It is not such a bad result; 72% of GL 4.2 functionality is supported by old hardware. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement