• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nightman28

DirectX help

This topic is 2526 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First things first, Hello I'm new to posting here but have found several threads that have helped my in the past. Yes this is homework related, no I'm not looking for someone to do it, just help me where I'm stuck at. I have searched for answer but have not found it yet, if this has been covered then please tell me where to find it.

Ok now what I need for the homework:
I need an sphere rotating at the world orgin like a sun, which I have working.
I need a sphere rotating around that sphere like a planet, which I have working as well.
I need a sphere rotating around that sphere like a moon, is kicking my butt.

This is the code that I have, it doesn't state that the planet or moon need to rotate themselves I just added it for fun and experience. This is what I have between the BeginScene and EndScene.

pd3dDevice->BeginScene();

// sun transformations
D3DXMatrixRotationX(&meshRotate, D3DXToRadian(90)); // align sphere axis with world
D3DXMatrixMultiply(&meshMat, &meshMat, &meshRotate);

D3DXMatrixRotationY(&meshRotate, D3DXToRadian(3 * angle1++)); // make sphere rotate

pd3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &meshMat); // apply transformation
Sun->DrawSubset(0); // draw sun sphere

// remove all transformations
D3DXMatrixIdentity(&meshMat);

// planet transformations
D3DXMatrixRotationX(&meshRotate, D3DXToRadian(angle2--)); // rotate sphere 1 axis

D3DXMatrixRotationY(&meshRotate, D3DXToRadian(2 * angle3++)); // rotate sphere 2 axis

D3DXMatrixTranslation(&meshTranslate, 135, 0, 0); // move sphere
D3DXMatrixMultiply(&meshMat, &meshMat, &meshTranslate);

D3DXMatrixRotationY(&meshRotate, D3DXToRadian(angle4--)); // around sun sphere

pd3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &meshMat); // apply transformations
pPlanet->DrawSubset(0); // draw planet sphere

// remove all transformations
D3DXMatrixIdentity(&meshMat);

// moon transformations
D3DXMatrixRotationX(&meshRotate, D3DXToRadian(angle2)); // rotate sphere 1 axis

D3DXMatrixRotationY(&meshRotate, D3DXToRadian(angle1)); // rotate sphere 2 axis

D3DXMatrixRotationZ(&meshRotate, D3DXToRadian(angle3)); // rotate sphere 3 axis

D3DXMatrixMultiply(&meshMat, &meshMat, &meshTranslate); // return to last location of planet
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&meshTranslate, -50, 0, 0); // move sphere
D3DXMatrixMultiply(&meshMat, &meshMat, &meshTranslate);

D3DXMatrixRotationY(&meshRotate, D3DXToRadian(angle1)); // rotate sphere around 1 axis of planet

// D3DXMatrixRotationZ(&meshRotate, D3DXToRadian(angle1)); // rotate sphere around 2 axis of planet
// D3DXMatrixMultiply(&meshMat, &meshMat, &meshRotate);

pd3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &meshMat);
pMoon->DrawSubset(0);

pd3dDevice->EndScene();

What seems to be happening is that the moon is still orbiting around the center of the world and not the center of the planet. I'm beggining to think that I need to use a vertex list, but I'm not sure how to do that with a sphere. Can someone point me in the direction of getting the moon to orbit the planet? Also if anyone has suggestions to cleaner code I would love to hear them as well.

Advertisement
Save the position of the earth after you have calculated its transform (meshMat._41 = x, meshMat._42 = y, meshMat.43 = z) and transform the moon by that after making all of the other transforms you have made.

L. Spiro

It never occured to me to translate to the last position of the planet AFTER all of my other transormations. Thank you very much, it is working great.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!