Browser Game

Started by
8 comments, last by Gamer Gamester 12 years, 7 months ago
Hello,

I decided to make a browser based game with my free time. I have basic knowledge of programming, story development, and making a design document; so I do not require advice in regards to that. My questions are more directed on software I require for my goals, and some questions as to if my ideas are feasible to create on a web game. Time is not an issue and i'm aware of development lengths and dividing up the workload into chucks.

I was imagining making a game that could be played globally; such as, facebook games. Also, eventually, making it playable on multiply systems. PCs, and iPhones for instance. The game would be 2D, but drawn in realism, most likely using vector graphics and 2D/3D authoring tools. Several mechanics adjust to real-time input/display, and also interactive most likely done with ajax.

The issue i'm having trouble wrapping my head around is if I could make the images in vector graphics to a small size, then transfer either the image or how to make the image to the user's graphics card. I guess i'm trying to say I don't know anything about vector graphics at this point, and i'm researching how to apply it properly.

This will be my first internet project, so I appreciate any advice. Yes, I will start simple and add elements as I go. I will practice with home index page to create the welcome screen to cover the basics.

Here's a list of what I think I need to know for a browser game:

HTML5 or XHTML5 - I believe using strict HTML5 would be more feasible for wide use.
CSS - for styling
Javascript - Not sure on the best script for my situation
Dom - I heard using this is a bit slow
SVG + Canvas - SVG because I want realistic - resizable graphics. Canvas for some simple stuff.
PHP - For the server
Ajax - To only change elements within a image rather than load the whole screen.
HTTP GZip compression (decrease file size) - For the SVG file sizes in general.

Here's what I gathered as to tools I require:

Apache Web Server (HTTPD) 1
PHP 2
MySQL Community Server version 3

1. Web server
2. server-side scripting language
3. database vendor
4. Recent Firefox, Google Chrome, Safar, Opera, IE
5. Javascript library
6. 2D authoring tools
7. 3D modeling tools
8. Audio editing tool
9. MIDI authoring software?
10.Text/code editor (notepad) xD

Apache, PHP, and MySQL sound like solid choices on the server side. Code will most likely be C++.

I look forward to the responses.

Thanks in advance. I'll try to reply once a day, I'm a bit busy.
Advertisement

Code will most likely be C++.
[/quote]
This sticks out like a sore thumb. What code will be C++? Where is it going to run? How is it going to communicate with everything else?
I'm not just creating a web game. I'm going to create an environment, or game world. I could use C#, but i'm still in the gathering stage.

I'm not just creating a web game. I'm going to create an environment, or game world. I could use C#, but i'm still in the gathering stage.

Unity can be used for real time 3D rendering within a browser.

Otherwise i would say you have to go for vectors with flash.

Problem with browser games is that you need to sent to user without the user requesting it. So you need something like PHP sockets, if speed is not that much an issue you could make a js script that keeps requesting all updates each couple of seconds.

Tools you need really depends on what you want, if your going to need all that you have listed i think your way over your head. I suggest you get Jquery (a nice js tool) and XAMPP for a local php/mysql server. And start out small with some PHP, Jquery and mysql. Web games could be massive fun to make but bug fixing can be a major annoyance.

GL

[quote name='Robert_' timestamp='1316174948' post='4862418']

Unity can be used for real time 3D rendering within a browser.

Otherwise i would say you have to go for vectors with flash.

Problem with browser games is that you need to sent to user without the user requesting it. So you need something like PHP sockets, if speed is not that much an issue you could make a js script that keeps requesting all updates each couple of seconds.

Tools you need really depends on what you want, if your going to need all that you have listed i think your way over your head. I suggest you get Jquery (a nice js tool) and XAMPP for a local php/mysql server. And start out small with some PHP, Jquery and mysql. Web games could be massive fun to make but bug fixing can be a major annoyance.

GL
[/quote]

Unity has huge safety concerns and it years yet before viable 3D solutions for browser. SVG and AJAX takes care of most vector issues. Speed is an issue, which is why I was pondering alternatives to javascript like python or LUA. I'm not so worried about the server side issue, as I am with speed and size of images. For what I want, I might have to use OpenGL to use a graphics card.

I'm mostly wondering how I can utilize Vector Art to its fullest while maintaining speed and bandwidth.

I'm mostly wondering how I can utilize Vector Art to its fullest while maintaining speed and bandwidth.
[/quote]

Shouldn't you just use Flash or canvas then instead of creating your own browser engine in something like c++ with openGL? Your reinventing the wheel, unless you make it much more powerfull then these apps which makes it more like an app/engine project then a game project. But if your really want to, and up for the task of creating your own engine for the purpose of a web game then i guess i am posting in a threat that is way over my own head :D.
It sounds like you're starting off with too much on your plate. When you start making games, each game will have mistakes in it that you will hopefully remember to avoid in the next game. Start off with something simple would be my advice, and put in a web browser so people can start playing it immediately and give you feedback. Then go from there. Here's an example:

The Grid
Flash is going to be outdated, and has issues... I'd rather not use it.

SVG + Canvas is what most people say dependent on what's being made. I've seen 3D realsim with Canvas, but it's not the right medium for that. Like I mentioned earlier, the ability to maintain image quality is important.

My home page is my practice page, which is similiar to your "The Grid" link.
I'm already working on a design document to detail everything in the game before I start making it. Then I have start the art work. I'm aware of all these steps.
Right now i'm gathering the tools that will be required.

Web Server
Scripting Language
Database

Those three are standard requirements for the kind of game I want to build.

HTML, CSS is standard.

Canvas, SVG is standard. One or both use AJAX, DOM, etc.

HTTP Gzip is for compression.

I found some people that are versed in SVG, so I won't be needing further thoughts atm.
I suggest you to use WebSockets, AJAX doesn't really fit real time applications.
It feels like you're getting in over your head. It's easy to overestimate your abilities early on in game development. Yes, you can do all these things, but you've got some years of learning and experience gathering ahead of you before you'll be able to pull everything off.

Start simple. Not multiplayer right away, and certainly not a persistent game world. Focus on a little browser game with JavaScript. Then all you need to do server side is handling the static html/js/css/resources requests. This will be enough for now.

Python and Lua don't really work for the client side (if you do want a browser game). Really, someone with only a basic knowledge of programming isn't going to be hitting any true performance walls with any realistic projects -- JavaScript will be more than fine.

And don't use C++ for anything right now!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement