Some general questions about how to start making a fighting game.

Started by
15 comments, last by QiGongMaster 12 years, 3 months ago

@GHMP, So are you saying that I would have to release the project as freeware because my team wouldn't get any money out of it? Because they would, and part of the money they get would come from whatever earnings we make from the game. And possibly whatever I can pay them during the course of development, if they're open to that. Also can you define what in your mind a simple game is? Because I think everyone one has a different idea of what constitutes as one.

I meant to say if you're going to have a bunch of people work on something for free and then sell that something and keep all of the money yourself, it's just wrong. If those who were considering working on your project saw that you were going to sell it when it was finished, but you weren't offering them revenue or a salary for their work, it would ward them off because they won't be getting anything out of their work, but you would be.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

Advertisement
But why would I need to treat this as a freeware project? If and when I complete the game, wouldn't it benefit my team and I more, to release a demo version for free instead? And charge for the full version?
As soon as money comes into a project, a lot of extra complexity appears. Suddenly team-members and yourself have legally binding agreements, which means you both have to put a lot of trust in each other.
You can either:
* Business: Make legal agreements with people you know and trust. Invest a lot of your own money to cover business expenses (there will be some).
* Wannabe business: Do the above, but without getting lawyers/professionals involved from the start. Get a bunch of people to work on a project, try to fix up the legalities at the end and hope nothing goes wrong and no one gets screwed over. Be prepared to fail at worst and ruin friendships at best.
* Hobby: Make everyone who contributes agree to release their work for free. Make freeware.

At the top you need to be working with a fixed group people that you trust, at the bottom anyone on the internet can come and go making small contributions. In the middle it's the best and worst of both.

Also importantly, you've got to realise that your first attempts at game-dev are going to be flawed. You'll be learning cool stuff so they will be really f'ing cool to you, but they'll be flawed in many ways. In a few years you'll look back on them and realise how much you've improved. If this fighting game is your magnum opus, then think about putting it off until you're comfortable with your game-dev skills, or be prepared to make better games in the future anyway ;)
Also, why do I need to make simple games first?[/quote]Because without experience, it's not a question of "how many people are required", or "how much time do those people need"... it's "can I even do this at all without the house of cards crashing down half way through" or "do I even know how to do this yet".
ApochPiQ, Thank you again. You answered all my questions. And given the information you just provided me, my only other question is what are the chances a publisher would green light a new fighting game specifically, by a company I start? If lets say in the future I do start a company and my team members and I are known to have good track records in delivering a shipped product. I ask because one doesn't really see any new fighting game IP's coming from large companies within the U.S. Do you by chance know why this is?

Also forgot to ask, can games in 3d space still be considered simple games? And if so, to what extent is this simplicity constrained to?

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

ApochPiQ, Thank you again. You answered all my questions. And given the information you just provided me, my only other question is what are the chances a publisher would green light a new fighting game specifically, by a company I start? If lets say in the future I do start a company and my team members and I are known to have good track records in delivering a shipped product. I ask because one doesn't really see any new fighting game IP's coming from large companies within the U.S. Do you by chance know why this is?

It depends on how good of a business case you can make for creating this fighting game of yours - if the profits aren't there or they are slim then there is no reason to go for it. If you can show there is a hole in the market waiting to be filled, and can prove that, then there is a much higher chance of someone putting down the cash and giving you the greenlight.

Also forgot to ask, can games in 3d space still be considered simple games? And if so, to what extent is this simplicity constrained to?

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

3D games are generally considered more complex than 2D games. This is partly because of the increased compexity in mathematics when dealing with 3D space (a two dimensional space requires very little math beyond what a high schooler is capable of) and because of the leap of complexity in content creation (creating a sprite is simple as dirt; a 3D model, even a simple one, not so much).

Don't be mistaken, you can certainly create a fairly simple 3D game if you are determined and smart enough with a reasonable amount of time investment. But it will have to be a very simple concept or it'll get awefully complex dangerously fast (and excuse spelling mistakes, on crappy computer right now...).
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
Thank you DarklyDreaming. Can you elaborate on what you mean by this: "Don't be mistaken, you can certainly create a fairly simple 3D game if you are determined and smart enough with a reasonable amount of time investment. But it will have to be a very simple concept or it'll get awefully complex dangerously fast" What is considered a very simple concept?

I think I might end up going the indie route though, even if mistakes are made. I was speaking to a friend and he said the creator of Mount & Blade, sought help online by posting his vision of what he wanted in the game to many forums, and many people contributed since they really liked his idea. Does anyone know the details about the development of this game? For example, did he pay the people who worked on his idea and did it start as a commercial venture? I can't find any of this info on the game.

Hodgman, I forgot to ask you, but when you said this, "Also importantly, you've got to realise that your first attempts at game-dev are going to be flawed." Okay, well what is it that makes someones attempt at game development flawed? Is it lack of knowledge? Because if so, can't someone just come to a forum such as this or go to school to learn about their respective practice? Is there something I'm missing here? I get that doing this as a hobby is potentially unstable, but can't other team members pick up where other team members who took leave on the project left off?
Hodgman, I forgot to ask you, but when you said this, "Also importantly, you've got to realise that your first attempts at game-dev are going to be flawed." Okay, well what is it that makes someones attempt at game development flawed? Is it lack of knowledge? Because if so, can't someone just come to a forum such as this or go to school to learn about their respective practice? Is there something I'm missing here? I get that doing this as a hobby is potentially unstable, but can't other team members pick up where other team members who took leave on the project left off?
It's lack of experience. You can't gain experience, except through... experiences.

It's entirely possible to spend 5 years on a project, only to get to the end and realise that there are so many bugs in your game, and the causes of the bugs are so widespread that it's virtually impossible to fix them all -- leaving you with no option but to start again.
Yes, a good education and peer-group helps to avoid stupid mistakes, but it's not going to stop you from ever misunderstanding something, making a false assumption, or going ahead with a plan without understanding the full ramifications. If it's your first time doing something (anything), your chances of screwing it up are of course going to be much higher than someone with a decade of experience at doing that thing.

10 years ago, I thought that I was an expert-level C++ programmer, I was making awesome FPS games and felt I could make anything.
Every single year since then, I've looked back on some code that I wrote a year earlier, and noticed flaws in my technique, designs, and general vision. Even now in 2011, after writing games in C++ for over 10 years, I still look at code that I wrote in 2010 and shake my head at decisions that I made at the time.

This doesn't mean that all of my old code is bad, it's just that the further you go back, the more flawed it is.
My code from 2010 is slightly flawed in subtle ways, stemming from my vision/understanding of programming being slightly less developed than it is now.
My code from 2000 (when I felt like I could make any game that I wanted to) is actually extremely flawed, buggy, unmaintainable, unprofessional, etc...
At the time when these mistakes were made, I had no way of knowing how flawed my skills were, due to the fact that lacking a skill robs you of the ability to realise that the skill is lacking. Without experiencing something yet, you've no way of knowing what you're missing.

I don't want to discourage you though! This is a long winded way of saying your 3rd project will rock the socks off of your 1st, and they'll both suck compared to your 5th.
Hello SwordMaster, I'm a long time reader first time poster here. I'd like to add my two cents on your original post.

In regards to which engine is right for a custom 3d fighting game, there are several things to consider. With Unreal Engine and CryEngine, you have complete and proven full featured game engines that have state of the art features and extremely complex systems already set up such as particle systems and animation systems. With something like XNA or some other "starter" engines there is almost nothing already done for you but the bare basics of 3d engines. If you went with UDK or CDK, you have access to some very good level building tools and features. If you chose to go XNA or some other starter engine you get a blank slate with the bare workings BUT this blank slate enables almost limitless extendability with any features you can think.

If you can find a programmer who is looking to expand their skill set and have fun not too worried about commissioned paying job, I would go with XNA. I say go with XNA because with a fighting game, the core of the game, the soul of the game is the fighting action, not so much these incredible realistic levels with all these things going on at once that will seriously suck some computing power. Can you make lower detailed levels in these engines, sure but that kind of defeats the purpose of using them.

Building a fighting game from the ground up may be the better choice because from the get go all your systems that the programmer will implement can be focused around character to character interaction whether that is one character fighting many at once or one on one or whatever. Also, your team will be doing a lot of prototyping, which can go pretty fast using something like XNA since it is Very well documented, has been used to develop some good commercial games and it will be far more simple because it is so basic to start with so you eliminate that complexity while being able to extend the engine feature by feature only including what you want.

So get a few people who are enthusiastic about fighting games, and start from the beginning, get an animated character into the engine and go from there. And keep in mind when your starting out these don't have to be custom made characters, download some characters that have been extracted from other games and use them in prototyping while your modeler is making your custom models that way your animators/riggers can go ahead and start working with the already made models.

Once your team can get animated characters inside the engine then they can start work on implementing your fighting engine, the part of your fighting game that governs how characters will interact with each other and the environment.

I am no expert, but you get like minded people together who are enthusiastic about the project and not concerned with getting payed right away, some great things can happen.

By the way I am a martial arts fanatic and want to play this fighting game so hurry up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement