Sell minigames

Started by
11 comments, last by Florian22222 12 years, 6 months ago
Hey all!
In school we have to develop any project we want.
A few of my class colleges and me wanna develop a 2d game.
Any ideas how to sell the game if it is revolutionary in design?
does miniclip buy games?
Advertisement
Hi Florian,

Sorry my reply is late. I don't know why nobody responded to this.

Your best bet to monetize a small game is probably going to be to use an in-game advertisement service that would load an ad before each play. People usually won't pay for very small games (being that the market has set the price at 0), but they will play them, and the advertisers will pay you a fraction of a cent per view (which really adds up if your game is widely played). With an average semi-decent game, you may be able to earn $200 or so throughout its life time, and for a popular game that can become several thousand.

I hope that helps.
Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions,
Cheers!
Thank you that helps a lot!! which companies pay for this ad? is google ads good?
I don't know if Google offers any way to easily put ads into a game, and they wouldn't pay for any manually inserted ones. Google only works if you put the game on a web page, and everybody goes to that web page to play the game. Keep in mind people will steal the game from your web page and repost it elsewhere if it's good, meaning you get nothing from the advertisement then.

Your options basically boil down to either:

A: Using a system like MochiAds: http://www.mochimedia.com/

That loads advertisements from the internet whenever people play your game, and Mochi keeps track of it, and cuts you a check later based on how many hits they got from you. The provide code that you include in your game to load their ads.

B: Contacting a company more directly to negotiate a sponsorship deal.

There are sites designed around auctioning games for sponsors, but you could also just walk up to a company, make an appointment, make your pitch, and sell your game.

Sponsorships usually run from $200 - $500 per game. A really amazing game can get a few thousand.

In that case, there's usually an advertisement for that company when the game starts up, but you could even go so far as to make it all about that company.

Moving company? Make the game some kind of clever mechanic involving moving men who have to move furniture, etc. from place to place in the city as fast as they can without losing any.

Bottled water delivery company? The game mechanic is (very similarly) about delivery men running around the city, and getting the bottles of water to the customers before they dry up and crumble to dust.

You probably get the idea.
The same basic mechanic/game can be "skinned" to fit any number of themes. If you do make the game all about one company, you can get some serious cash for sponsorship (particularly if it's very good) because of the sheer magnitude of advertising value that provides.

In the latter case, you can get a lot more money, but it involves a little more leg work, and a lot more politics, with a very charismatic presentation to sell the idea.
Oh, and also? It means your game can not do anything offensive to the company, or possibly offensive to customers- it's kind of limiting.

I suggest going with A. if you don't have any experience in sales. But then again, trying for B and defaulting to A couldn't hurt (well, except maybe a bruised ego if your presentation isn't good and you get laughed away).

I hope that helps.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
Thank you for your reply. we will first develop it and then decide if its good enough to make money with it. i like method A more.
I am actually programming 2d games in java, so mochimedia.com doesnt support this language.
Do you know any other "advertisers"? I used google but i couldnt find anything

I am actually programming 2d games in java, so mochimedia.com doesnt support this language.
Do you know any other "advertisers"? I used google but i couldnt find anything

Not really, Java isn't very good for monetizing easily.

Your best bet is to embed it on a web page, wherein the web page has advertisements that you set up with Google, or others.
+1 for driftingSpaceMan and this thread in general. Never really though about adverts, but that should be a fun way to raise some moneys for future stuff. I especially like the challenge connected with the B scenario.

Good luck Florian22222!
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)
I now decided to take method A. and i want to develop it in java cause i have my own engine in java. But mochimedia doesnt support java. i used google but couldnt find anything. do you know other companies for ingame ads?

+1 for driftingSpaceMan and this thread in general.

Thank you!

I'm glad I could help give you some ideas. I've contacted companies directly before; response can vary. I'll be doing this quite a bit more in the next few months.

Mostly, be prepared to give a mini-lecture on monetization when asked about it. You'd probably have the best luck if somebody from the company was into games, and could introduce it from the inside.

I now decided to take method A. and i want to develop it in java cause i have my own engine in java. But mochimedia doesnt support java. i used google but couldnt find anything. do you know other companies for ingame ads?

Note my post above.

The best way to do this in Java is going to be to put it on a web page, and put advertisements on the page. Java is not ideal for monetization.

If you can't put your Java applet in a web page and put ads on the web page (normal ads, with Google or other services), you'd probably have to go with option B. You can probably use Mochi ads on the site if you want, they just would be beside the game in a flash container, rather than in the game.

Flash is the star of web game advertisement based monetization. Anything else will require a bit more work.

Some web portals accept Java games, so that might be your best bet if you don't want to make your own page for it.

Advertisement is just the easiest way to monetize- there are other options. If you would like, I might be able to help you with an alternative monetization model, but it would be substantially more work (much more than a class project).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement