• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lucky6969b

Determining the "Location" of the main scene object

This topic is 2617 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First of all, I group the main scene into one chunk and export the max coordinates.
But this seems to be not correct. The object in direct3d is located on the far right of the screen.
I wonder how do you export the actual coordinates of the main object.
Do you put a dummy object in the middle or something like that?
Thanks
Jack

Advertisement
usually when you export anything from modelling software, the objects are centered on the origin.

Then in the game engine, you load the objects and translate them to where they need to be.
same applies to a whole room/scene.

if you exported the scene's coordinate from max, the engine simply placed them in your world using your placement location as the origin of the max world and so they appeared further out than expected. At least that's my first interpretation of what could be going wrong.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!