• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Template class, with a templated object declared inside using a default parameter

This topic is 2347 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm creating a templated container class which wraps a std::map.

I want to be able to specify the key and value types (obviously) but I'd also like to take advantage of the fact that a std::map can use as a key an object with no '<' or '==' implemented by specifying either a function pointer to a compare method or a comparator class for comparing the keys.

I don't always want to specify these though (for example if I'm using int as a key, there's no point specifying how to compare them), but is there any way to pass the 'default-ness' of the template parameter through to the wrapped map's declaration?

For example:

template <typename V, typename K, typename C> // V is value type, K is keytype, C is comparator class
class Container
{
std::map<K, V, C>
};

is nice and simple, but I want to be able to leave out parameter C when I declare a Container it if it's not needed (like, as I said, if the key type is int), but the problem is that the map will still expect the third parameter.

Essentially I kind of want

template <typename V typename K, typename C>
class Container
{
std::map<K, V, C>

};

but at the same time

template <typename V typename K>
class Container
{
std::map<K, V>

};

Is there any default value I can give for C such that the map is declared without the comparator class if I don't specify it when I declare a container?

Advertisement
Just set C = std::less<K>. This is what std::map does.

template <typename V, typename K, typename C = std::less<V> >
class Container
{
std::map<K, V, C> data;
};

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement