• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cockscockscocks

Help with a game programming issue in general.

This topic is 2614 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[font="Arial"]I would appreciate some help regarding programming 3D games like Final Fantasy. I have decent skill in C++, but I really do bad at Windows API. I would mind if you could give me some instructions on building an API? I can't afford one like DirectX and DirectX is highly difficult and somewhat annoying as well. I can also wonder if you can provide me a free manual or tutorial on loading data from files and putting them in windows window? I just have trouble with graphics only. I've been struggling for several years now and have no money so please no books or college.
[/font] Edited by ApochPiQ
Remove annoying bold font

Advertisement
If you have no experience on programming games, then you should start with simple 2D games at first. However, there is alternative using engines - yes, you can find free engines for which you don't have to know how to work with directX or openGL. There are already built in functions and all you need is programming knowledge but it will take time.

Anyway, if you want to work from start, then you should either learn DirectX or openGL, there is no other way around :)

Isn't DirectX free? Also there's OpenGL, which I prefer to DirectX. You might be interested in a game engine like Unreal or Source.

Isn't DirectX free? Also there's OpenGL, which I prefer to DirectX. You might be interested in a game engine like Unreal or Source.

I heard that a game engine is just part of your code that implements the loop of a game and passes it on to the control of a window? That's easy if so. I just need help with certain AREAS, like Windows API and how to draw an image from a file to a window.

Some people will say not to use them but there are some OLD tutorials from Neon Helium here on gamedev.

Nehe tuts 1-5

They show the straight Win32 API calls to setup a window with an OpenGL rendering context and to do it with double bufering.

Good luck.

[quote name='KeyGames' timestamp='1316295754' post='4862901']

I heard that a game engine is just part of your code that implements the loop of a game and passes it on to the control of a window? That's easy if so. I just need help with certain AREAS, like Windows API and how to draw an image from a file to a window.
[/quote]

Not even close. I would say that the game engine gives you the software, you just have to worry about making the game. .

[quote name='IHavePoorTaste' timestamp='1316465090' post='4863507']

[/quote]

Not even close. I would say that the game engine gives you the software, you just have to worry about making the game. .
[/quote]

Okay, sorry for being not so precise there. But you don't need a "game engine" to actually create "games." I've programmed small games before using the Windows GDI shapes and such and used no game engine whatsoever. And they had a 2D renderer that I programmed using the a swapping loop of multiple buffers that animated a background based on the world position that the character was in.

For example, character.worldposition > 450 then background.worldposition++ and loop while there is movement. It was certainly harder and took over 20,000 lines of code, but there was no actual game engine present like you'd think(unless you'd consider my own work an engine).

I still can't load images from files to a Window's window though if anyone wants to give some input. :(

OK. What troll need to do is read file formats for tga and maybe bmp. Troll can also lookup how to use png and jpg libraries. What troll's goal is to load the image data uncompressed into memory. Troll can then Blit the image into the current window using GDI at will.

Troll shouldn't need 20,000 lines of code to accomplish this.

[quote name='arthurviolence' timestamp='1316479954' post='4863617']
[quote name='IHavePoorTaste' timestamp='1316465090' post='4863507']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Okay, sorry for being not so precise there. But you don't need a "game engine" to actually create "games." I've programmed small games before using the Windows GDI shapes and such and used no game engine whatsoever. And they had a 2D renderer that I programmed using the a swapping loop of multiple buffers that animated a background based on the world position that the character was in.

For example, character.worldposition > 450 then background.worldposition++ and loop while there is movement. It was certainly harder and took over 20,000 lines of code, but there was no actual game engine present like you'd think(unless you'd consider my own work an engine).

I still can't load images from files to a Window's window though if anyone wants to give some input. :(
[/quote]

You dont need a pre made "game engine" to create a game, but the engine is the inside of your game, how it works underneath the hood. But I wont fall for the bait, thank you.

Obvious troll is obvious. I'm going to stop replying to your statements now and worry about someone that actually will contribute to this community.

This topic is 2614 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.