3Ds Max Modelling - Can't connect/weld 2 vertices of mirrored & attached objects

Started by
2 comments, last by Kryzon 12 years, 6 months ago
In 3Ds Max 2011 I am currently trying to connect 2 vertices of an I object I mirrored (I selected copy mode instead of instance) and then attached together I managed to target weld the vertices on either side of the two I'm trying to weld but I can't do that pair. Any help is appreciated :)

PS. I would also like to know why I can't seem to be able to use the connect tool seeing as it should be one object now and there are no faces in between. :P

Sorry I'm new to modelling so I'm not very good with the terminology surrounding it :)

max_vertice_connect.png
Advertisement
From that screen it's not quite clear, but it appears those two halves of the object are convex. That is, they are completely closed meshes.

You really can't Target Weld two vertices that lie in different convex meshes. You need to delete the "cap" polygons that lie between them. These vertices need to be in a Border (a loop of edges that leads to open space).

The Connect tool creates as many Edges as it can among the current selected vertices. These vertices need to have at least one polygon in common. Any vertex that lies one or more polygons away from the others won't get connected. 
I'll include the Max scene file so you can examine it, but I believe there are no polygons in between them.

http://www.mediafire...3l4026gw1da6rzj
If I do it for you you won't learn. 

EDIT: Sorry if this sounded too jackassy; what I meant was, the "trouble" of going through and trying to find out what is wrong is incredibly rewarding for you as experience with the software.  

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement