Anyone know of Java Rts game tutorials/ebooks?

Started by
3 comments, last by David.M 12 years, 7 months ago
Hey guys i am trying to make a game that is an RTS top down game with soldiers and whatnot.
I was wandering iff there were any books/ tutorials on this because im new to this neck of the woods and I need some Referances.
Thanks
Advertisement
What library are you using? Do you want a 2D or 3D game? I've worked with Slick2D and know a few people have made RTS games with it. Here is one example.
Im not using anylibrary.
Ive made myself a quick Engine that paints,updates etc (very basic)

Im trying to find a way to make an Isometric top down Rts game and the one you showed me is alot what i had in mind but i dont want to use and 3rd party library thingys. I would much rather program it from scratch.
I have previous knowledge of java game programming
I don't think you're looking for any help on picking a tool, but...

If you're thinking of using the built-in Java Graphics API, think again. It isn't hardware accelerated to use OpenGL or anything except the CPU.

If you were thinking of using pure LWJGL or JOGL (which are OpenGL wrappers for Java), then you'll have OpenGL for hardware acceleration.

Slick is a 2D library on top of LWJGL. I do recommend it. For 3D, there is jMonkeyEngine. I can't remember what it's based on, though.
I would agree with cmasupra. I made a space-invaders type game with swing and awt and the lag was awful. Working with slick has been great. It's pretty easy to learn and pretty powerful. I can't speak for the ease of use of JOGL, straight LWJGL, or jMonkeyEngine since i havent used them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement