• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

quaternion rotation

This topic is 2347 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Let q be a unit quaternion that rotates angle t about axis n. I know q and -q represent the same rotation, but -q rotates 2pi - t about axis -n. In other words, -q rotates the long way.

So when slerping I choose either slerp(a, b, t) or slerp(a, -b, t) based on the b or -b that gives an acute angle with a.

So my question is:

Choosing the shorter arc corresponds to interpolating the orientation path in the shortest way and choosing the larger arc corresponds to interpolating the orientation path the longest way (like 2pi - t)?

Most books just state this but don't prove that the shortest arc corresponds to the most direct orientation path (although I guess it makes sense it doesn't seem obvious).

So is it like one hemisphere of the 4D unit sphere representats rotations (n, theta) and the other half represents rotations (-n, 2pi - theta)?

Advertisement

Choosing the shorter arc corresponds to interpolating the orientation path in the shortest way and choosing the larger arc corresponds to interpolating the orientation path the longest way (like 2pi - t)?

Yes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement