• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigbadfunkdaddy

Creating Flash Games

This topic is 6175 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know I''ve posted about creating games in Basic before (I am learning the language and am almost finished), but I just realized I can make games in Flash since I know how to use Flash (and have a book for reference just in case). Anyways, my point of this post is to ask if anyone knows of any good links about creating games in Flash. Since I have never created a game before, I figured I might as well use a tutorial or whatever I can get to help me with my first one, so please post your links or any helpful info like good books.

Advertisement
Hmm.. I wish they had some books when I had to learn how to make Flash games

Besides the books that are around nowadays, theres two sites that will aid you in your struggles:

www.flashkit.com

www.virtual-fx.net

unfortunately, I had learned how to create RPG''s in Flash by the time I learned about those two sites.. (2D RPG''s I mean).

Good Luck. If you ever need help I am almost always free grom 3 to 5 and then from 7 to 9 or 10.

My email adress is bg_darkelf@hotmail.com

By the way, Flash 4 is alot better for learning how to do the stuff, but you will need Flash 5 to work with the books that are published now, I believe (also, it has a better selection of actions in ActionScript..) But if you ever find Flash 4 cheap, you should get it. Its just as good and I make all of my games that don''t need to be multiplayer in it.

I''d just jump on with Flash 5. Its Actionscript is more of a real programming language than that of Flash 4''s. In fact that''s the one major distinctive feature that made Flash 5 so powerful, through use of Actionscript-only events. In Flash 4 many designers used actionscripting only to compliment keyframing, now they use it all by itself in Flash 5.

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

Blade Edge Software
Public Relations, Game Institute
Staff Member, GDNet

Read my online column! Now!!

Yeah, Gaiden is right now that I think about it. Flash 4 has about half of Flash 5''s actionscript capabilities, if your going to be doing games, I suggest you use Flash 5.

I like Flash 4 for all of my game though, and Flash 5 has a bad design to it. In Flash 4 you left click and get all the options, in Flash 5 there are like 6 panels you have to open one after another to find what you need ( at least when you are a begginer it will be that way, youll get used to it ).

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden

What you mean all those panels for scripting and text and movies and library and whatnot? Oh that''s no problem - I have them all on my desktop at once, they are just arranged very nicely so that I can minimize them to their window bars and they are totally out of my way. If you want to see how i lay out my desktop in Flash I''ll email you a pic.

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

Blade Edge Software
Public Relations, Game Institute
Staff Member, GDNet

Read my online column! Now!!

I picked up the Flash Games book that friends of ED put out over a week ago and it''s really good.

It covers developing a series of games including a Defender clone and a platform game. Some of the later chapters have networking and 3D graphics information (haven''t read them yet).

I recommend this book to any Flash 5 game developers out there.

borngamer

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!