• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vazix

Replication puzzle game

This topic is 2611 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I just want to start by saying I somehow resisted writing „Replica playing game (RPG)“ for my topic, but that would sound like replica's (of something) playing around.
Anyways I doubt that the title, as is right now, fits the gameplay mechanics I'm about to introduce.

Idea:

I first thought that when you fire a bullet from gun your high-tech or very-magical body could turn into thousands of bullets and then fly the same way making more damage. At first it looked just visually appealing idea, but being able to replicate anything, opens paths to everything.

Mechanics of replicating objects:

At the time you replicate an object you are in a ghost form and can walk around. Your ghost is able to manipulate objects you created (push a box you replicated before) and then reassemble to his human-like form in another place. You could only replicate actions or some objects (like bullets), for example not a light bulb, but start glowing when you replicate it turned on. Maybe for things like exploding grenades you wouldn't be given a chance to move, because your replica would be too scrambled.

But there are still so many things, the player could try to mimic, that you cant prepare without some limits. How to define those limits without showing a clear solution to a puzzle or wasting time on useless things?

Replicating other persons:

Since total replication became possible, security systems we're created that scan the whole body so you can't rely only on human actions, you need to become them.

You can replicate human's actions by watching, but not themselves. Every person has distinctive actions and needs to use their own passwords if they need to go trough a secure door. So if Mr. "A" use's his password, the door will open, but if you use his password without being his clone, you won't go trough. To get an exact copy of another person you have to kill him. This makes limits to how many times you can replicate in order to finish the level, because you would have to replicate another person after he writes his password, but not after he leaves (and you can't be near the door when another man is to make things more interesting).

An example of human replication:

Human "B" comes to "A", then "A" greets him, "B" has to reply, and then if everything is done right, a door opens (camera connected) for "B" to pass.
In order to pass trough the door you need to be "B", but you need to know how he replies to "A's" greeting.
  1. You replicate someone and approach a man who plays role of "A".
  2. When you know how "A" greets, you stand and greet someone who plays a role of "B".
  3. Now you know how "B" responds , and now you can pass trough wall.
Every time you do something wrong, people get suspicious, and we kill suspicious people. And most of the time if you see someone, he sees you, so you have to be a clone of something in advance.

You also have an advantage, because if you haven't seen anyone dying from bullets, bullets will deal little to no damage to you. So stealthy kills grant you immunity from guns, but it's harder to accomplish (you see how people die from guns if You do it, passive replication). If you use poison to kill enemies, you will be immune to both guns AND roses (melee weapons).

I feel that if you can only replicate, you would have same boundaries as AI enemies, that should be interesting. I really need some suggestions about how to successfully limit the opportunities of object replication to a reasonable amount, and how to make the gameplay playable. I feel quite confident about how the mechanics of vulnerability based on how you see people die could work: a stealthy guy would die only from close quarters combat (indicating he failed his job) and how man with guns is easily killed from long range if he isn't accurate. But it creates two distinctive parts of game: puzzle and combat, and making it work together is hard, but achievable.

I'm in last year of high school so I will just think if this Idea is worth my free time, which I will have less and less till upcoming summer (when finished exams). Bad timing :/, but if you think this just could be something special, please give some feedback. In any case, thanks for reading. If any parts of this thread is confusing, let me know.

In a world, where total replication nano technology is possible, don't think that enemies wont try to replicate your actions to their advantage...

Advertisement
Wouldn't it be better to just create a puzzle game with this concept, instead of trying to create an action game with replication as a part of gameplay? If you design your game around replication and drop the FPS (or whichever) conventions altogether you'll have a lot more freedom, not to mention that the game is going to be easier to develop.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!