Game developement for android?

Started by
9 comments, last by TheCompBoy 12 years, 7 months ago
Hello guys!

Im starting a new project and im thinking i want it to be a game for android.. But i never made any games to android before..
Is there some guide or tutorial on the webs that i can read?
And is there some tools i need for this?

Just some quick questions :)
Thanks!
Advertisement
If you don't already have it then you'll need the Android SDK to start any development. Here is an easy to follow tutorial on setting it up.

After that look on developer.android for some resources on getting started. After you become familiar with creating Android applications there are a few game sources available on there.

If you don't already have it then you'll need the Android SDK to start any development. Here is an easy to follow tutorial on setting it up.

After that look on developer.android for some resources on getting started. After you become familiar with creating Android applications there are a few game sources available on there.

I already know how to make android apps and set up the SDK im asking for game developement..
I already released apps on the market i just want to learn now how to make games.
Alright. I wasn't sure so I figured I'd post that. If you learn better by looking at source code have you looked at the Code Resources? It's got some sample sources. Among them Lunar Lander and Snake. Here is an android Space Invaders.

As far as books go I'm really not sure.

Are you going to be using a library to make them? Which one? I'm sure the library's site would have resources to help you out too. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Alright. I wasn't sure so I figured I'd post that. If you learn better by looking at source code have you looked at the Code Resources? It's got some sample sources. Among them Lunar Lander and Snake. Here is an android Space Invaders.

As far as books go I'm really not sure.

Are you going to be using a library to make them? Which one? I'm sure the library's site would have resources to help you out too. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I don't know yet if i'll be using libraries or not since i dunno realy how to make games for android..
And i don't know what libraries exist and which one i should use in those cases.
It all depends. First you need to figure out your baseline device ( List of devices by spec here, a few months out of date now ) that you are targeting and the type of game you want to create. When chosing your baseline device you need to consider both OS level and physical specs. Then you need to consider the type of game you are creating. If you go high performance or cross platform, you will probably want to look into using C++ and the NDK ( one of the few edge cases I recommend using C++ ). If you are looking into doing a simple 2d games, the standard opengl bindings will probably be sufficient.

You may also consider looking into Unity and jMonkeyEngine. I believe jMonkeyEngine has been ported to Android but I may be wrong on that.

The OS level is very important though, as pre-2.2, it supported an earlier version of OpenGL ES, which massively effects the libraries available.

Myself, I'd just use Unity.
I suggest libgdx, that comes with a few simple example games.

It all depends. First you need to figure out your baseline device ( List of devices by spec here, a few months out of date now ) that you are targeting and the type of game you want to create. When chosing your baseline device you need to consider both OS level and physical specs. Then you need to consider the type of game you are creating. If you go high performance or cross platform, you will probably want to look into using C++ and the NDK ( one of the few edge cases I recommend using C++ ). If you are looking into doing a simple 2d games, the standard opengl bindings will probably be sufficient.

You may also consider looking into Unity and jMonkeyEngine. I believe jMonkeyEngine has been ported to Android but I may be wrong on that.

The OS level is very important though, as pre-2.2, it supported an earlier version of OpenGL ES, which massively effects the libraries available.

With unity do you mean this: http://unity3d.com/ ??
If you are then i have a question: This i can't develop with Java right?

And if im intrested in just working with Java then i think that SriLumpa
had a better link yes?

[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1316362233' post='4863066']

had a better link yes?
[/quote]

Yes, Java is not supported by Unity.

If you want to develop specifically in Java, that does make his recommendation more applicable.

[quote name='TheCompBoy' timestamp='1316368826' post='4863092']
[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1316362233' post='4863066']

had a better link yes?
[/quote]

Yes, Java is not supported by Unity.

If you want to develop specifically in Java, that does make his recommendation more applicable.
[/quote]

I want a more documented library with more tutorials or guides since with this i wont get anywhere..
Do you know any way without buying books i could achieve this?

I also read about something named: Cocos2D
But that is also very low documented for android.

But if i want to make my games in C++ is there some tutorials for that?
Cus i have been working with C++ before i just thought that there was more guides and info for Java.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement