• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JustinHeatherBarrios

OpenGL XNA on a Netbook

This topic is 2619 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello Experts,

I'm working on a 3d game for XNA. I do most of my work on a tower computer. I also have a netbook I take with me on trips. I usually have a lot of free time on my trips that I would like to spend working on my game. The problem is when I run my program on my netbook I get an error that essentially says: "Your graphics card is too weak." This make sense because my card only supports up to direct X 9. I can play some older games on my netbook using direct X so I know it has some graphical capabilities.

My question is: Is there a way to tell XNA to run a less intensive version of direct X so my netbook can handle it? I've read a bit about how there is a way to tweek the GraphicsDeviceManager instance so computer will know that the game is not going to run advanced things. Even better, is there a way for XNA to run openGL?

Thanks for reading,
Justin

Advertisement

Hello Experts,

I'm working on a 3d game for XNA. I do most of my work on a tower computer. I also have a netbook I take with me on trips. I usually have a lot of free time on my trips that I would like to spend working on my game. The problem is when I run my program on my netbook I get an error that essentially says: "Your graphics card is too weak." This make sense because my card only supports up to direct X 9. I can play some older games on my netbook using direct X so I know it has some graphical capabilities.

My question is: Is there a way to tell XNA to run a less intensive version of direct X so my netbook can handle it? I've read a bit about how there is a way to tweek the GraphicsDeviceManager instance so computer will know that the game is not going to run advanced things. Even better, is there a way for XNA to run openGL?

Thanks for reading,
Justin

The lowest you can go is to set your project to use the Reach profile - this is a profile which works on low end DX9 cards, but they do have to support certain things; it doesn't work with the weaker integrated intel cards. The problem is, to develop for XNA you need to be able to support the higher end HiDef profile.

AFAIK XNA with Reach requires both PS and VS 2.0 - something which most Intel GMA cards don't support (most of them support a variety of hybrid versions, certain extensions and implements the rest in software rather than hardware).

Even with support it's unlikely that it'll run well enough - my recommendation is either getting a laptop with a better graphics card, preferably not an Intel one, or simply not doing much programming while mobile.

XNA needs a DX10 card for hidef. It doesn't actually use DX10 but requiring that level of card ensures 100% compatibility with the required features. See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnhar/archive/2010/03/12/reach-vs-hidef.aspx

First thing is to update your drivers - sometimes that helps.

Secondly can you run your game in reach if you comment out a few things - sometimes thats the easiest

There's no official workaround but there's a few tricks that work. I wouldn't every consider releasing a PC game using these tricks because things might just not work but its might work for your scenario. Note that you might still not be able to use HiDef features if your card simply doesn't support it. You won't get good errors either - it will probably just crash or fail to render.

See http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/t/68146.aspx and http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/70106/448242.aspx#448242and http://escarbandocodigo.wordpress.com/2011/02/03/error-xna-4-could-not-find-a-direct3d-device-that-supports-the-xna-framework-hidef-profile/ for the fbpdeprofiler download

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!