• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
swatch

head first java

This topic is 2591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello . i'm learning this 2nd edition book but it seems it requires java 5 and a api documentation which i can't download . the link below is what i'm looking for .

http://download.orac...ase/1.5.0/docs/

The SDK does not include the API documentatIon, and you need that! Go back to java.sun.com and get the J2SE API documentation. You can also access the API docs online, without downloading them, but that's a pain. Trust us, its worth the download.[/quote]

Advertisement
I don't use Java, but it appears Java SE is now on version 7, not 1.5, which is a huge difference in versioning. You want to learn the latest, not the outdated.
This page contains the downloads for the API and the documentation. Even if you are using an outdated book, use the most recent version of the API and documentation. Though that will undoubtedly cause some confusion, you can refer to modern Java tutorials as well, to learn it properly.

Don't learn the outdated technology, learn the modern technology - otherwise you'll have to relearn it later.

Java has changed how they handle version numbers so Java 1.5 is just the same as Java 5 so the difference is not that big.

I think you should be able to install Java 7 without any problems.
Java 5 documentation can be found here http://download.oracle.com/javase/1,5.0/docs/api/

hello . i'm learning this 2nd edition book but it seems it requires java 5 and a api documentation which i can't download . the link below is what i'm looking for .

http://download.orac...ase/1.5.0/docs/

The SDK does not include the API documentatIon, and you need that! Go back to java.sun.com and get the J2SE API documentation. You can also access the API docs online, without downloading them, but that's a pain. Trust us, its worth the download.

[/quote]

You can use the last JDK, doesn't matter if its version number is 7. Since Java 5 there were no huge changes at base level. I studied Java with Thinking in Java 4th Edition of Bruce Eckel at university, which is based on J2SE 1.5 and a little of 1.6 and I had no problems making exercises and stiding from that book even if I used JDK 6 and the JDK 7 the last month.. Anyway you can choose in netbeans the level of compatibility if you have trouble.

I don't use Java, but it appears Java SE is now on version 7, not 1.5, which is a huge difference in versioning. You want to learn the latest, not the outdated.
This page contains the downloads for the API and the documentation. Even if you are using an outdated book, use the most recent version of the API and documentation. Though that will undoubtedly cause some confusion, you can refer to modern Java tutorials as well, to learn it properly.

Don't learn the outdated technology, learn the modern technology - otherwise you'll have to relearn it later.

There is no huge different anyway from version 5 to 6 or 7 at basic level.. And in netbeans (and i think in most java ide) you can choose the level of compatibility if you have some kind of trouble,..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!