• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goober King

Why do you do it?

This topic is 6170 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m wandering about what everyone is doing this for. There are lots of people here all working on there own little projects and I would like to know what you plan on doing with them. How serious is everyone? Is it for fun. Trying to sell a product? Do folks ever show off what they are woking on to the others? Just currious. I think I dabble in game dev because I wish I could realy make something some day. Dont see that happening but I haved amused myself greatly at times. I would like to make something I can be proud of some day . Even if I''m the only one that likes it. I do have to say I am very currious about seeing what you guys have acomplished.

Advertisement
Hi,

Well me, I want to do something creative, and now I''m dreaming of making games. I''m studying university CS at the moment, and I''m doing a tile-based classic scrolling shoot ''em up, to practice my skills, learn about games programming, but most importantly, to have something to show off when I apply for a job in games company.
When my games is finished I''ll probably put it up for dl on my homepage...

Hope this is what you wanted to know

Jedyte

Well, I got involved with game development for a few reasons. The biggest reason is to eventually work from home to spend more time with my family.

The entire premise of my game organization is around my daughter Sarah. The borngamer logo even uses a photo of her from last year. Ideally, I hope to develop entertainment software that I can make enough money off to live a healthy life at home.

I don''t know if it will ever happen, but with the opportunities I have had come up over the last 2 months it is now a very realistic possibility. Either way it''s going to take a lot of hard work to be a sucess.

borngamer
www.borngamer.com

I got into game programming because I liked gaming but couldn''t find games that satisfied my itches. Originally (around 13) I thought I wanted to get into the games industry, but I have much larger plans than that now.

Damn, that way 8 years ago...

Hello.

I got into programming because my brother was taking a course in college. Then I found more and more fun in it, so I continued to program, and still do now.

For someone my age (14), I don't really show off my games. If anyone's in my room then I would never say no to the idea of directing them to my PC, but my games go no further than that. Hopefully, I will eventully get a proper job in the industry, and then maybe I will show my games off a bit more...

~ There's no substitute for failure ~

Edited by - MarkyD on September 24, 2001 10:47:28 AM

I''m just programming because I can... I''d like to figure out the best way to program, and creating games is a pretty fun way to do so. You can learn a lot from it...

Also, I want to create the type of games i like, but I never see in the stores. Thank god I found some people with the same idea, so I can work with them Though I show nothing of. Still haven''t got much to show

I do it:

-Because for the past 2 or so years I have been trying to make games, and up till recently, I didn''t know it was possible to learn without classes, and I didn''t know where to start.

-I want to make games that, whether or not they please the public, act out dreams I have or ideas that I cannot execute in reality.

-So I can get a job in the industry as a programmer and designer, who can write novels in spare time.

-I like games.

-I want to make a game as perfect as Final Fantasy 7 someday.

Thats about it. As you can tell, my reasons for games are not strictly bussiness specific, but I still have a love for it, and hope I do when I earn the change to be part of the industry.

Good luck to everyone else!

Why did all those famous artists paint? Why did all those musicians create beautiful melodies?..... They all had a passion.... Everything may be $$$ these days, but we all must have our hobbies....

Whatever makes me wake up in the middle of the night, I''m going to do it... Because thats where I find my peace..

I always wanted to make games but thought it was beyond me. Until someone showed me somw VB code. And it looked easy enough. and here I am, at 35, just starting out with windows code. But its fun and I can make anything I want, program wise.

And yes good luck to all who follow their dreams. . .

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!