• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
das7002

Books for SlimDX

This topic is 2526 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been looking around quite a bit on Amazon for books related to SlimDX and next to nothing comes up. So, thinking that SlimDX is basically just a wrapper around DirectX, and can be somewhat easily translated into SlimDX, I looked for DirectX books. I wanted something newer so I went with DirectX 11 (which I'm assuming will run just fine on DirectX 10 cards which most everyone has... (the getting started on SlimDX website ran on both my laptops with only DirectX 10 GPU's just fine so I don't know))

Other than that though these are the two books I've found that look somewhat promising

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-DirectX-11-Game-Programming/dp/1435458958/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316369649&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Game-Programming-GameDev-net-Collection/dp/159863805X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316369695&sr=8-1

Anyone know of any better ones or a book specifically written for SlimDX? I'd like to stay entirely in managed code if possible.

Advertisement
I've been working with SlimDX now for about 10 months, and I've noticed that there are few resources on SlimDX out there. That said, I've also noticed that despite not knowing a thing about DirectX before I started, I can now read and understand DirectX examples and translate them to SlimDX in a matter of minutes. I credit the designers of SlimDX for that. They've followed the DirectX API very closely.

I'm actually using directx 9 and shaders, so I bought a book on that topic, and despite all the code examples being written in c++, its very easy to translate directly to SlimDX.

I've been working with SlimDX now for about 10 months, and I've noticed that there are few resources on SlimDX out there. That said, I've also noticed that despite not knowing a thing about DirectX before I started, I can now read and understand DirectX examples and translate them to SlimDX in a matter of minutes. I credit the designers of SlimDX for that. They've followed the DirectX API very closely.

I'm actually using directx 9 and shaders, so I bought a book on that topic, and despite all the code examples being written in c++, its very easy to translate directly to SlimDX.

I guess I was on the right track when I was guessing a regular old C++ book would do just fine then. I suppose I'll go with the first book, thanks for your input!

If you are looking for a Direct3D 11 book, take a look at our: Practical Rendering and Computation with Direct3D 11. It is a full-color, hard cover book that dives deep into the pipeline, resources, tessellation, direct compute, and also has many sample algorithms demonstrated in the later chapters. Since you are using a managed API you might not get direct use out of the source code, but the full C++ framework is available in an open source project for you to take a look at (and run the samples) before you buy the book: Hieroglyph 3 on Codeplex.

You can also take a look in the book on Amazon here. If you do end up picking up a copy, please let me know if you have any feedback (good or bad)!

If you are looking for a Direct3D 11 book, take a look at our: Practical Rendering and Computation with Direct3D 11. It is a full-color, hard cover book that dives deep into the pipeline, resources, tessellation, direct compute, and also has many sample algorithms demonstrated in the later chapters. Since you are using a managed API you might not get direct use out of the source code, but the full C++ framework is available in an open source project for you to take a look at (and run the samples) before you buy the book: Hieroglyph 3 on Codeplex.

You can also take a look in the book on Amazon here. If you do end up picking up a copy, please let me know if you have any feedback (good or bad)!

Sounds like an excellent book, I'll definitely look at the source code they provide of everything and might end up getting it if the code looks great. Full color books are always nice!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: just from the table of contents it seems to go way more in depth than the first DX11 book I found and was interested in.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!