Naming Conventions

Started by
26 comments, last by L. Spiro 12 years, 7 months ago
As I mentioned, don’t let others tell you what is an abomination. Decide for yourself, unless you have to conform to your company’s style.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Advertisement
Honest to goodness, member variables are the IMPORTANT ones. They're the ones that shouldn't need decorating.

Hence, I decorate parameters which happen to collide with members and locals which I can't name anything else. I don't decorate members because they're the ones that the code spends all its time talking about. If you're spending so much time talking about data which is NOT a member that decorating them is a pain, then it's worth having a think about what data the object encapsulates.
Going nuts with Hungarian notation just adds noise to code. When I want to know about code I've written, it will be obvious from either then interface in the header file or via the parameters I pass to a function. This will still be true a year from now. Do I really need to know that a variable called "worldTransform" is an 4x4 float matrix by tagging the variable name with it?

I decided that for myself! :D

When working on other people's code, stick to their conventions even if it does mean tagging things with some prefix when the language supports namespaces or putting C in front of every class, in case it wasn't obvious.
If you having trouble keeping track of classmember vs. local variables, maybe always use this. as you access class variables. Or always use getter/setter ?
Further, with todays modern IDE's and autocomplete having very long variablenames that are very clear is not a problem in my opinion.

edit:

oops, didnt realize this was outside the Java forum, so maybe "this.someVar" do not apply.
I have a webpage where I put my stuff.

luzsite.net

Further, with todays modern IDE's and autocomplete having very long variablenames that are very clear is not a problem in my opinion.

No matter how good an IDE is at autocompletion, if there is a block of code with very long variable names it's probably not going to be very readable.

sum += fnval

or:

sumOfAllTheFunctionValues += TheFunctionValueArray[CurrentIterationIndex]

(exaggerated example of course :P)

m_pui32CurPos = Pointer to a 32-bit unsigned int, and it is a class member.
[/quote]
Ugh.... You've dedicate more space to the Type, (i.e. the thing you can see by hovering your pointer over any instance of the variable), than the purpose. What is CurPos? Current position? Cursor position? Something else?

i32Total = 32-bit integer. Not a member of a class and not a parameter.
_ui8Mask = An 8-bit unsigned integer that was passed to the function.
[/quote]
The types for these should be visible on the screen, or within a single "Page Up". If not, maybe you should add "Keep functions short, to less than a single screen if possible" to your convention.

When you pick a style, be consistent in that style. A style is useless if it cannot be trusted. ... Decide for yourself...
[/quote]
These points are certainly true.

Personally, I used to use Hungarian notation when I was an intermediate level programmer. Since then I've changed my programming style such that I find it isn't necessary. Now I find it ugly, distracting, and a maintenance burden.

m_pui32CurPos = Pointer to a 32-bit unsigned int, and it is a class member.

Ugh.... You've dedicate more space to the Type, (i.e. the thing you can see by hovering your pointer over any instance of the variable), than the purpose. What is CurPos? Current position? Cursor position? Something else?[/quote]
Ironically, although your goal was to propose a situation in which the naming of my variable could be misunderstood, still your first proposal was exactly what was on my mind.
It is the current position, and I named it based off human intuition. Most humans will see it as such when they read it.
Of course, one will be able to decide between the choices you proposed based off whatever kind of function it is, but had I felt the intention of the variable was not clear, I would have made my variable name even more explicit.

i32Total = 32-bit integer. Not a member of a class and not a parameter.
_ui8Mask = An 8-bit unsigned integer that was passed to the function.

The types for these should be visible on the screen, or within a single "Page Up". If not, maybe you should add "Keep functions short, to less than a single screen if possible" to your convention.[/quote]
I hope one day we shall all live in a world in which it will be possible to view only single-screen functions.
But that is not the only threat that variables named without metric information can propose a problem.
Actually, given the types of problems caused by variable metrics, I wonder why metric information would not be available constantly.
It really isn’t a matter of what is convenient. Yes, you can wait for a little yellow balloon to appear. It is not so much trouble. But did you know you were even supposed to show that balloon? Did you even know that the metrics of the variables in play are the cause of the bug?
Without metrics you look only at the algorithm. With metrics, you look at both the algorithm and the implementation of it.

When you pick a style, be consistent in that style. A style is useless if it cannot be trusted. ... Decide for yourself...

These points are certainly true.

Personally, I used to use Hungarian notation when I was an intermediate level programmer. Since then I've changed my programming style such that I find it isn't necessary. Now I find it ugly, distracting, and a maintenance burden.
[/quote]
And still I have used Hungarian for well over a decade and never had a problem with it. My speed at typing ui32 is considerable, and everyone will adjust to whatever style he or she chooses.

The one downside to styles is that they challenge one’s aesthetic perception of his or her own code. A lot of people cannot accept the logical explanations behind how some styles help given how unpleasant the code looks.
Personally, I only feel unpleasant when not all of the code in the entire project is consistent. Whatever the style, I want to make it all look the same.
I recognized early that a lot of people were willing to appease their aesthetic visions of code in order to satisfy their disregard for logic, and I had promised never to be such a person.
That is why you don’t see me talking poorly about any given style or another, and why you can see many places in which I have advocated the choices of each individual.

Let people decide for themselves. People love it when others agree with them, but I am not willing to guide someone down a path he or she did not choose just to make one more person who agrees with me.
The original poster should take all of this as input, filter out what he or she does not like, and use the rest.
Let it be that simple.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I just read your style guide. What's with all the LSVOID LSINLINE LSCALL stuff in your class declarations? It reminds me of MFC!
The code was taken from my engine, which is highly cross-platform.

I have defined macros LSE_CALL, LSE_INLINE, LSVOID, etc., in order to create calling conventions, syntax, and primitive types that are roughly equal across platforms.
In fact, although the Win32 API is essentially just for Windows, the Windows team has recognized this need as well, which is why our results look similar.

L. Spiro

I see.

I certainly do something similar for floating point numbers and integers for the sake of consistency but inline is inline and void is void. When I compile my game or tools for Windows, OSX or iOS, with the exception of platform specific stuff, I don't need to worry about any of that!

Why do you prefix things with LSE as opposed to namespaces?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement