The dumbest products you've seen advertised

Started by
64 comments, last by eedok 12 years, 6 months ago
keyboard.jpg
ok I dug out the old keyboard (hence the dust) if you accidentally(*) press the power button it will shut off the machine (just like the power supply has been turned off) i.e. it wont save things first

(*)& with it being so close to other keys I done it ~3x before I got a new keyboard, a little switch on the corner or something that youre accidentally not going to touch is a far better idea
Advertisement

keyboard.jpg
ok I dug out the old keyboard (hence the dust) if you accidentally(*) press the power button it will shut off the machine (just like the power supply has been turned off) i.e. it wont save things first

(*)& with it being so close to other keys I done it ~3x before I got a new keyboard, a little switch on the corner or something that youre accidentally not going to touch is a far better idea

If we're just talking about poor design decisions... there are millions of examples of those floating around. I agree with the others that the concept isn't necessarily useless however.

I don't see how that's possible provided that the keyboard isn't more or less directly connected to the power supply. I mean, maybe a special homeopathic keyboard that has an infinitesimal amount of electricity mixed into the plastic, but otherwise, not so much.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
How about those fake "collector" coins they sell on late-night TV? You know, like the ones that look like Civil War-era coins, but are three times bigger and stamped out of iron rather than silver. Do people buy those things?

[quote name='zedz' timestamp='1316557800' post='4863987']

I don't see how that's possible provided that the keyboard isn't more or less directly connected to the power supply. I mean, maybe a special homeopathic keyboard that has an infinitesimal amount of electricity mixed into the plastic, but otherwise, not so much.
[/quote]
perhaps it is homeopathy at work or perhaps its magic! :blink:
I mean how on earth can you explain the fact that the PC turns on just by pressing the power key (or whatever key combination you have it set to in the bios) on the keyboard. :D

How about those fake "collector" coins they sell on late-night TV? You know, like the ones that look like Civil War-era coins, but are three times bigger and stamped out of iron rather than silver. Do people buy those things?

I think it's funnier that most of those fake coins are minted in small poor countries so they can say that they are "legal tender".

For example, these are $2 legal tender in Niue, which I did not even know was a country until I found the coins.

keyboard.jpg

Remind me of my old keyboard where power / sleep / wakeup replaced the delete / end / pagedown, and print screen / scroll lock / pause break was shifted up along with other keys.

Statistically I understand the design, people all over the world does not keep their PC in vampiric mode, although some people does so that they doesn't have to go through the reboot mode. and most people put their cpu under the desk. and when was the last time a person press scroll lock or pause break. So I do use print screen here and there to write tutorials, but for most people? So some genius move all that key up, insert / home / page up shifted up with all the rest.

While it easy for people to shut down / sleep / warm up their pc, the problem it that those key replaced a well used and remember key (delete / end / page down). if nothing was shifed and instead they replace the upper key where print screen / scroll lock / pause break, it would have been ok.
and when was the last time a person press scroll lock or pause break.

Programmers will likely use the "Break" key quite a bit when debugging, and the "Pause" bit was used in several games (DOOM, for example). As for Scroll Lock, the only widely-used piece of software I know of that still supports it is Excel.

However, Print Screen is used a fair amount and there are few things as irritating as pressing what you thought was Print Screen only for your PC to start shutting down.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

babysnuggie2.jpg

"Quaid... Quaid... start the reactor... free Mars..."
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad

"Quaid... Quaid... start the reactor... free Mars..."

colin-farell-total-recall.jpg

buzz immediately killed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement