Database?

Started by
4 comments, last by Cynicmonster 12 years, 6 months ago
Hello, when people say "Store the data in a database" for C#, does that actually mean store it in a database like Access or SQL??

(Sorry if this is a noob question.)
Advertisement
Yes.

(Sorry if this is a noob question.)
[/quote]
Don't apologise, we were all new once.
Hi All,

As a noob (and I mean an absolute noob) I was wondering about this as well.

My dream is to create a MMORPG to rival WoW or RoM, but reality tells me this ain't gonna happen any time soon...lol. Baby steps...(oh, the joy of work, family, no money and no experience...but gotta maintain the dream, the ideas are there...)

During my trawling of the 'net re: MMORPG design, I came across an article comparing the pros and cons of database v's files and, although I don't fully understand the concept of setting up and saving data in a file (other than my daily dealings with the use of Excel and other Microsoft Office programs...), I have had experience in designing and maintaining databases (using Access) in a commercial manufacturing environment.

Some questions:

1 - Is it 'simply' a matter of setting up a database (using Access, etc.) with the information you want to store, then linking that database to the game program to retrieve the information required? Is there a preference for a particular database format (I have heard from the IT guys at work that Access can have issues with security...)?
2 - Is there a preference to use one format over another when designing a game requiring data to be stored and recalled (i.e. I read that files are quicker, but databases are more reliable...)? Are databases easier to update (modify) than files?
3 - When talking about file storage, is this akin to using ,say, using an Excel spreadsheet to store info (i.e. if I have a range of weapons or armour with stats relating to character level, I can define the +ve's and -ve's of these in a spreadsheet), then linking this to the game?
4 - Is one format more reliable than the other (i.e. more stable)? Is one easier to use?

I apologise if my terminology is not quite up to scratch (noob, remember...), and I am not under the impression that I can create a MMORPG by next week, simply looking for clarification on something I have researched elsewhere but not quite understood.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Cynicmonster

Tell a person there are 1000 billion stars in the Universe and they will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet on a bench and they will touch to make sure...
A database is an effective and scalable way to store data used by many users.
A full fledged MMO database would typically be distributed over a server park, to spread the load.
It would also use advanced caching schemes to keep often used data in caches, and build indexes to speed up searches.

Technically, its just a file, but with a database server managing access to it.

If you would want to use a file, you would have to build a database layer around it first, to manage access from your game program, but why do that when hundreds of thousands of man-hours have already gone into developing the industry standard databases like mySQL.

The database will contain the game state, anything needed to synchronize the game over the many players.
Game data like textures and models will be stored in normal files on the client computer, just like for any game.

Hi All,

As a noob (and I mean an absolute noob) I was wondering about this as well.

I hope others who has more experience on MMORPG and DB can help you.

What I want to say is, DON'T post your own question in reply of other's thread.
Start your own thread, then your question won't be buried and you can get more dedicated answers in your own thread.

Good luck :)

https://www.kbasm.com -- My personal website

https://github.com/wqking/eventpp  eventpp -- C++ library for event dispatcher and callback list

https://github.com/cpgf/cpgf  cpgf library -- free C++ open source library for reflection, serialization, script binding, callbacks, and meta data for OpenGL Box2D, SFML and Irrlicht.

Thanks Olof,

Will investigate mySQL further.

Ta wqking,

Just figured I would try and keep the topic to one thread (i.e. database query) instead of starting a new one which doubles up. Will keep in mind in future...:)
Regards,

Cynicmonster

Tell a person there are 1000 billion stars in the Universe and they will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet on a bench and they will touch to make sure...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement