Swedish guy wants to learn.

Started by
6 comments, last by Klomster 12 years, 7 months ago
Greetings fellows, i am known as Klomster to most.

I have a problem though.
I really want to make games, and by make games i mean knowing how to best approach my game idea, what platform of creation i should use and have someone who can teach me how to do things.

So at the moment, i have a really cool idea, a sort of revolutionary fps game (i know, they all are in the commercials, but this is rather different)
The problem is, that the only things i can do is come up with looks of different factions, background and draw some sorta good looking concept art for them, i feel that i can easily project my idea towards, perhaps a 3D modeller and get what the style of the character itself will be.

I have tried 3ds max, but i've run into problems i don't really know how to explain, and solve, but have created a model that at least looks somewhat human. But it needs tweaking.

I can also work some basic ideas through photoshop, i can edit pictures to some extent, and dramatically change how a picture is composed. But not very neat in my opinion, an i need some extra work to get it pretty.

I have the ability that in an instant, come up with a whole setting, and then flesh it out with extra content over time.

So you might see my problem here, i have passion and an idea. But no means to create what i want.
I'm sorta halfassed about everything, i can make some models if i set my mind to it and someone helps me iron out the problems. It won't be the best models though unless i practise.
I can make photoshop things, but nothing heavyweight.

I have a bad habit of giving up on things too, if i run into a problem, the project can severily crash and burn, even if it is a really simple problem that if i knew what was wrong, and someone told me personally how to correct it, i would be fine.

I guess what i want is a private mentor, or someone who would like me as a concept and story arc designer.
Know any such people? Preferably in northern sweden :P
Think positive, it will soon get worse.
Advertisement
Welcome!

Unfortunately, I think there is no shortcuts in game development... if you really want to achieve something, you have to work for it.
You can't get someone to work for you just because you have "some great" ideas.
Yes, you can get someone to help you. But first you have to prove you worth it.

In my opinion, do you want to know the fastest way to accomplish your goal?
You've already used photoshop and 3ds max. Even if you're not that good with it yet, make some drawings and models and concept art by yourself and show it off. Keep practicing and working with those tools (or others) until you have something to show and attract someones attention.

Good luck!

1. I'm sorta halfassed about everything
2. I have a bad habit of giving up on things too
3. I guess what i want is a private mentor,
4. or someone who would like me as a concept and story arc designer.

1. That is a big problem, and you have to fix it.
2. That also is a big problem, and you have to fix it.
3. Nobody would want to mentor a halfassed quitter. You need to fix 1 and 2.
4. Nobody would want to hire a halfassed quitter. You need to fix 1 and 2.

Do you have a university degree? Do you want a career in games?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Harsh but fair Tom Sloper, harsh but fair.

Well i am going on a depression medication soon, so perhaps nr 2 will get a bit better then.

As for DiogoP, i am in the process of making a simple PDF file with the main concept of the game, although it's a bit messy since i don't really know how to make a pro layout.

As for the two final questions.

I do not havy any university degree, and it would be swell to be in the industry, but i don't have the requirements.

I would love to take a private course in something related, but sweden, and espescially where i live have quite strange games courses, mostly studying and using them as an artform, nothing really that seems to be about making them.
Unless i quit my job and move several hundreds of kilometers. Which i'm not to inclined to do.

i don't really know how to make a pro layout.

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/specs.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson13.htm

Sweet. I was roughly right it seems with the beginning. Gonna get right to updating my document.

Should i post it here later?

Sweet. I was roughly right it seems with the beginning. Gonna get right to updating my document.
Should i post it here later?

Not in For Beginners. Before posting it in Game Design, read the "before posting your game design" sticky there.

Check, gonna check it out later.

Thanks for all the help.

Loved the building a house example in the link you sent :P

"If it makes any difference, it's a square house." = Priceless.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement