• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MatthewDiaz

My 2D RPG and what you guys think about different art work

This topic is 2644 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Basically, I am currently working on creating a 2D RPG for the PC that I dream one day I can sell. What I am wondering and have been wondering for a while is which route I should take as far as the art work is concerned. When I say art work, I am pretty much referring to all the graphics from the title screen, to the monsters in combat. I want simplicity, so I personally am thinking going the old school route and having a style similar to that of Cladun This is an RPG on the PSP, Minecraft, VVVVVV, and Super Meat Boy. Let's face it, these types of games have given a lot of dreamers like myself some comfort and motivation in the idea that people will actually buy games that look, well old. On the other hand, I am not limited to that. I can make things look better, if I want. I have a digital paint program and I could go the route of Braid and give the game that look. But I am curious, does it really matter? As I code the game memories of the original Dragon Quest games flow through my head. I don't mind my game looking like that, and the real reason I made this post is to ask you guys, do you mind? Does it matter?

Advertisement
Personally I go the route of playability.
Graphics make good eye candy but there's been a large amount of game recently that the only selling point is the eye candy, game play is TERRIBLE.

I would rather play a game that is fun with Nintendo 8bit style graphics than a morrowind clone that has severe playability issues but looks nice.

I have also found myself buying more and more indie games from the fact that they are cheaper, more fun, and they don't have to conform to the mold the parent company accounting ticks say will make you the most money on paper.

edit: Also you should go at designing it from this route: Make it fun for you, and if people happen to like it also and want to pay for it, awesome!

Does it matter? Depends on what YOU think.

I would say that somewhat decent graphics will eventually matter, but having excess work on graphics and little work on playability can occur.

Decent graphics, decent game. That's your simplest way.

Artwork like Final Fantasy 6 is good(just search for gameplay on YouTube). Those kinds of games people still enjoy nowadays and they're simple, decent animations of characters and such, all within 50 pixels wide and high.

A game with those graphics, more or less, will be great.

Make the game first. Add hooks/blank functions to take care of fancy graphics of any kind later. Ex: calls to the particle system will result in basic untextured sprites during development etc.

You can always iterate graphics fidelity later.

Where graphics quality comes into play is if you are relying on bushes being dense enough to hide people in etc.

When they make 3d animated movies with furyr characters (monsters inc) they used proxy representations and only at final time did it render in full detail.
Same goes for making a game. Make it tight, responsive and fun to play even with wolf3d or lower graphics. Then you can bring in visual updates. Do not go excessive and slow game performance down just to add some bells and whistle visuals.

minecraft supports texture packs.. and well people have made stuff like this:
minecraft photorealism

I'd say you could go far with simpler graphics and great gameplay. Throw in some more intricate particles (RPG right? gotta have spell effects) and you are on your way.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!