• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gray22fox

Help - 3D Character modeling for a "Create a Character" feature in an RPG?

This topic is 2645 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[size="4"] First, thanks for any help you can give me - I am really stuck!

I am trying to create something like these:

character_ui.jpg
and
mobface_large_2.jpg

I am good with 3D character modeling, rigging, etc... and I know how to build this feature for 2D games. However, I don't know how I should go about modeling and scripting interchangeable components for this type of game feature in 3D. Do you know of any good tuturials that could help me? Or perhaps a general strategy? I mainly work in 3D Max and Maya.

I was thinking I should make each component (e.g. hair, eyes, ears) separately and group them for animation? Should I make some things separate groups (e.g. hair) and others modify with some sort of distorter (e.g. eyes, jaw)?

I really appreciate any help you can give! Thank you.

Advertisement
I am by no means professional, but I think you should start with something like Poser does:

• Have single or few basic human mesh(es)
  • Define morph targets (shape keys or whatever they are called) for all deformable features
  • Make separate meshes (attached to the same skeleton) for hair and clothes
  • Probably also some dynamic image based materials (like skin color, eye color textures)No I think you want to have the full morphing system only in character creator. I.e. you let user individually to assign weights to different morph targets, choose hair etc. and modify the color of textures (skin, eye).

If done, your character creator should output final mesh, loadable to game engine.

You can keep clothes as separate meshes, attachable to the same skeleton, if you want to implement changing of clothes or armor later in game. But you most probably do not want to modify neither body mesh nor material later. Keeping the morph-capable system in game wastes only resources.

I am by no means professional, but I think you should start with something like Poser does:

• Have single or few basic human mesh(es)
  • Define morph targets (shape keys or whatever they are called) for all deformable features
  • Make separate meshes (attached to the same skeleton) for hair and clothes
  • Probably also some dynamic image based materials (like skin color, eye color textures)No I think you want to have the full morphing system only in character creator. I.e. you let user individually to assign weights to different morph targets, choose hair etc. and modify the color of textures (skin, eye).

If done, your character creator should output final mesh, loadable to game engine.

You can keep clothes as separate meshes, attachable to the same skeleton, if you want to implement changing of clothes or armor later in game. But you most probably do not want to modify neither body mesh nor material later. Keeping the morph-capable system in game wastes only resources.

Thank you very much!. I agree, I don't think I need them editable after they are put into the game engine. Do you have any suggestions for making sure the clothing and hair will adapt to the morph targets? Will attaching it to the skeleton be enough? I have never tried before so I am not sure...

Thank you very much!. I agree, I don't think I need them editable after they are put into the game engine. Do you have any suggestions for making sure the clothing and hair will adapt to the morph targets? Will attaching it to the skeleton be enough? I have never tried before so I am not sure...

If you are using body morphs - like fat/thin you probably also need the same morphs for clothing (at least Poser does this to get good fits). I do not know 3D Max or Maya, but there probably are some tools that help to adjust the morph of one thing (clothing) to another (body).

It also depends a bit of the type of clothing. If it generally covers most of the body, you can switch off the rendering of chest, hips and limbs and thus clothing does not have to be perfect fit. But if you are xposing lots of skin, you will need better fits.

As of hair - do you need to adjust these to morphs at all? You will probably have separate male and female hair anyways, and maybe you do not need different skull shapes? If you do - maybe simply scaling hair a bit according to the skull size will do?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!