• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dekowta

Setting up an android

This topic is 2638 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi

I've got a couple of friends all with programming experience ready to start developing a 2D android game. However before we start I want to check what is the best set up to develop 2D game on android.

From talks with a lecturer on our course they said they'd used PowerVR SDK for the rendering, NDK, ANT for linking and compiling and bullet physics in the past; which doesn't seem too bad though to set it up looks like a pain.
I'm rather in favour of using NDK since im more comfortable in C++ and the same can be said for the rest.
really just looking for api's that will make it easy for drawing 2D objects.

I've also been looking into creating a map file type as well. I was in favour of just using XML to do this but after browsing this forum a little SQlite seem like a nice way of creating map data.

If anyone has any useful advice on how to go about this would be great.

I believe the game is going to be some kind of beat-em-up.

oops forgot to get rid of the an in the title Edited by Dekowta

Advertisement
Hey,

if u want to use the NDK u should get an Android Device with 2.3 or higher. U should get an Android Device anyway, as the Emulator is a big pain in the ass. Since 2.3 NDK development works pretty fine. Go to the Google Android Resource Page and look for an OpenGL ES NDK Sample Code. This leads u through the initialization process in C++.

For compiling and linking i use normally Eclipse with the C++ plugin. The Android SDK and NDK plugins are very handy and easily integrated...

If you want to write a 2D Game u can either look for Engines or write your own but i can tell u from my own research. There are no good out there. At least no one similar to Albino. If someone knows better at this point. PLEASE let me know :-)

http://www.mapeditor.org/ is a great 2d editor for tile maps and it saves the map in XML. U can probably use it for a side scroller too.

Good luck my friend :-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!