• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
3n1g

Which is the best route?

This topic is 2636 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm sure there are thousands posts like this.

I'm thinking of creating something for me, so I don't get tired of programming logistic software all day.

The thing is, what is the best route?

If fiddled a bit with XNA and it wasn't all that easy (didn't get much on it though) and that made me realize that I needed to get some background informatio and knowledge to get something that I may call it "decent".

I am planning on starting with a showcase app, for cars (ofc) kinda of like a very very simple GT photo mode. With a background, the car rotating panning the camera and stuff like that so I can get the hang of the 3d rendering and then I can advance to (try) make a racing kind of game.

But this is where I'm stuck at, the platform to use. Should I just go and learn C++ and do it the hard way? Should I go with the XNA and be dependent of the XNA framework? Or should I just go with a already built game engine like Unity or UDK?

I was really looking to buld my own, for the sake of experience (and a little pride, I won't lie, feels great to be able to say "I did that, that's 100% my work") but I don't know really where to begin with that.

btw If any of you can point out some good books to get the thought process going in the right direction that would be really cool too. Kindle versions if possible :)

Edit: About the platform to work with, I am really into the realism type of graphics, so I was thinking DirectX11 is the best for that..?

Advertisement

I'm sure there are thousands posts like this.

I'm thinking of creating something for me, so I don't get tired of programming logistic software all day.

The thing is, what is the best route?

If fiddled a bit with XNA and it wasn't all that easy (didn't get much on it though) and that made me realize that I needed to get some background informatio and knowledge to get something that I may call it "decent".

I am planning on starting with a showcase app, for cars (ofc) kinda of like a very very simple GT photo mode. With a background, the car rotating panning the camera and stuff like that so I can get the hang of the 3d rendering and then I can advance to (try) make a racing kind of game.

But this is where I'm stuck at, the platform to use. Should I just go and learn C++ and do it the hard way? Should I go with the XNA and be dependent of the XNA framework? Or should I just go with a already built game engine like Unity or UDK?

I was really looking to buld my own, for the sake of experience (and a little pride, I won't lie, feels great to be able to say "I did that, that's 100% my work") but I don't know really where to begin with that.

btw If any of you can point out some good books to get the thought process going in the right direction that would be really cool too. Kindle versions if possible :)

Edit: About the platform to work with, I am really into the realism type of graphics, so I was thinking DirectX11 is the best for that..?

There're so many routs to take...hmm..well, what is your most important goal ?
1. If you want to finish a car showcase really quickly with superb visuals, then I would go for the UDK/Unity route.
2. If you want to actually learn 3d programming and including shader programming, I would pick up some OpenGL/DirectX tutorial and start work on a little demo, improving it step by step.

The question is a common one, common enough in fact I put together a guide. ( Long read, but should help ).

The key thing is, no matter what you choose, you need to learn programming first. So your decision is premature. Spend some time learning a language and the question should mostly answer itself in the future.

The one possible exception to this is, if you have no desire to learn programming and are more interested in being a designer or artist. In that case pick a high level tool, Unity would be a good start and you can get by with almost no programming skills if you are competent at Googling.

There're so many routs to take...hmm..well, what is your most important goal ?
1. If you want to finish a car showcase really quickly with superb visuals, then I would go for the UDK/Unity route.
2. If you want to actually learn 3d programming and including shader programming, I would pick up some OpenGL/DirectX tutorial and start work on a little demo, improving it step by step.

Well, the showcase idea is just a project for me to learn 3d programming and the whole graphics pipeline so i can then jump into the logic/game part and do something good without having to worry about graphics as I have a base to work with.

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]

The question is a common one, common enough in fact I put together a guide. ( Long read, but should help ).

The key thing is, no matter what you choose, you need to learn programming first. So your decision is premature. Spend some time learning a language and the question should mostly answer itself in the future.

The one possible exception to this is, if you have no desire to learn programming and are more interested in being a designer or artist. In that case pick a high level tool, Unity would be a good start and you can get by with almost no programming skills if you are competent at Googling.

[/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]It's a really great guide I must say, thanks![/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]That's the thing, I'm in between C# and the xna framework because i'm a bit familiar with the .net framework (just the basics though) but it's a lot more than the knowledge I have with c++ wich is null.[/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]
[/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]But from what I heard big productions use c++ because of performance and all that, so I'm a bit uneasy with going to a framework leaving a lot of basic knowledge behind (xna and .net do a lot for you) and after all I end up with a bloeated project that only runs on my computer and with 0 knowledge if I wanted to go about another project that does not use the .net and xna frameworks...[/font]

<div><br></div><div>I know that on the guide you say not to start with C++. Yes I know it's a wierd ass language to follow head on, But i've fiddled with C# but mainly use vb.net. I guess I should go with I'm already familiar and go with C# with the .net... and maybe disregard XNA's framework and do all the stuff more manually?</div>

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!