• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
speciesUnknown

Streaming textures on the 360 by packing them in wav files

This topic is 2640 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I've been playing with the streaming sample. I've noticed that you can pick which cues you play by name, and was wondering if it would be possible to somehow abuse this feature to get to the actual data.

Is there some way to get my dirty paws on the byte data? If so, I could abuse the whole system to implement some form of megatexture like system for my terrain, rather than having to have seperate image files and use chunks.

Advertisement
How would that be easier than keeping multiple image files, or just storing all your images in a large binary file?
The only thing the streaming does as far as I know is to read a big chunk of data before using it. Since it's very easy to know what data will be needed for an audio stream, it works very well. If you know a way to determine what parts of your terrain will be visible in the future, you might as well load those files yourself.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!