• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DanielBastos

Zombie game - Feedback please

This topic is 2642 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[color="#333333"][font="arial, sans-serif"]Hello, I'm thinking of a proposal Zombie game a little different from current games. The vision of the game would be over his shoulder, like what we have in Resident 5. The online game was survival of a zombie attack. In the game each person will be "born" in the army under an American. Under that you are a rookie. And you can dowhatever you want, you can decide to betray the army and live in hiding in the city looting markets with their friends. You can live doing missions for people in the city. The game will have levels per character, each character will have the skills that will evolve according to what you use. Example: If you use more fight to kill thezombie, your character will evolve further the skill of fighting.
So that's it. It is an idea to pilot a game I want to start writing today. And I would like feedback from you. The game would find interesting or exciting?[/font]

[color="#333333"][font="arial, sans-serif"]Skill: [/font][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]fight[/font][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]Open locks / unlock doors
Firearm
...[/font]

Advertisement
Ok. So what you are looking for is a 3rd person shooter / sandbox game.

The idea is a bit similar to "Dead Rising 2" which is also a 3rd person game involving zombies. But with a skills levelling system similar to the one used in the Elder Scrolls games.

I'd like to make the following suggestions:

1. Rather than having each player start as a soldier, maybe you could give players a choice of former occupations, with their own perks and disadvantages. Like a "Soldier" class which would be anybody who chooses the occupation of Soldier, Security Guard or Police Officer. The advantages would definately be strength and shooting ability. So the player would get a bonus to those stats off the bat.

2. The story would probably be more believable if you didn't have a functioning military presence. Imagine a world in global chaos. An unstoppable legion of the undead has taken control of every major population center in the United States. There are no armies anymore. Only survivors.

I say skip the levels. If your skills grow based on use, then you can just have "levels" or a percentage or whatever per skill, kind of like how Fallout does it, but since you won't be assigning skill points at level up, what purpose will an overall character level serve?

Instead, have your faction standing with different groups bear a strong impact on your access to areas, equipment or supplies. If you stay with the military, you might have a rank or grade that determines which missions you're eligible for, how many and what type of NPCs you can have tasked to support you, or which parts of the city/base you're allowed to go to without getting in trouble. If you're working with survivor gangs, having a high standing might translate into more supplies or being allowed to use safehouses. You could even have different systems for each faction, so that you can rank up in a linear way with the military, getting predictable rewards but being restricted by regulations or required to do mandatory quests to serve the leadership, or you can make an impression on survivors, earning "favors" that serve as a sort of currency, allowing you to go to a guy you helped out and ask him for something he has. But once you've called in a favor, you can't call it in again unless you do something for him again.

A mix of different systems could allow players to be respected military officers who also have a good relationship with non-military personnel, but at higher levels it would become hard to reconcile your conflicting interests, since you might have to secure an area that's being looted by a guy you sometimes work with, and you have to either kill him and lose access to his skills and resources or else ask him to do you a favor and get lost, costing you standing with one group to keep your standing with another.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!