• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KevinOstanek

Alpha Centauri Reimagined

This topic is 2641 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been mentally incubating this game idea for quite some time, but now it's time to ask for some guidance or generate some interest. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, for me, is the most imaginative and well-conceived game I've played. I want to develop an epic turn-based strategy game set in some possible distant future set on a planet that is very strange and truly alien. I am pretty confident in the depth of the themes I imagine for the game. I need some help, though, in getting some insight into the structure and logic of turn-based strategy. Actually, a UML class diagram for that sort of game would be great, if someone could direct me to one. Also, I think it would cool if the world were actually a globe and not a rectangular map. Are there any books or internet resources that do a good job of demonstrating how this is done?
It should probably mention that my programming background is in developing applications that supplement university-level math textbooks - which is mostly functional programming - so I am new to object-oriented programming. I would be genuinely appreciative of some help on this.

Advertisement
This thread seems off topic for this forum; most of your questions seem to be technical in nature, but Game Design is a non-technical forum, and is more focused on the development of the rules and mechanics that make up the game rather than code.

Also, your questions are rather broad and unrelated, which makes discussing them all in a single thread rather messy. They also come across as a little... lazy.

Programming is about figuring out how to solve problems. Whilst doing research is definitely a good idea, as it can sometimes solve your problems for you, or at least get you going in the right direction - you should not expect off-the-shelf solutions to everything. Sometimes, you just have to solve a problem yourself.

I would be amazed if there was a UML diagram for an entire TBS game floating about on the net. You may be able to find some general advice on how to structure things, and some of that advice may be specifically applicable to TBS games, you will almost certainly have to figure out the majority your code design yourself.

Equally, I would be amazed if there was a "Making Globe Based Maps For Turn Based Strategy Games For Dummies" or equivalent book out there. There are resources that might help, but we know so little about your game it's very difficult to recommend anything appropriate. For example, googling 'Procedural Planets' or checking out Ysaneya's Journal might be appropriate if you're going for something fully 3d; although if you wanted something tile based more like the original Alpha Centauri then it's probably not going to be much help. In any case, you would still need to adapt that information for your own needs.

For now, I will close the thread. I would suggest reading this article, and then reposting on more appropriate forums with your questions. And of course, if you have any design related issues to discuss, you're more than welcome to post them here.

Good luck

This topic is 2641 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.