• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lum-X

what language to start learning 3d

This topic is 2645 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I want to definitely start learning 3d programing not game engines in general but mostly shader, rendering techniques, graphics pipelines and low lever GPU programming.

I have some difficulties starting C++ because we learn and use Java at unit and i really dont know what to say if i like it or not and because of that i cant sit and learn as i should C++ but since the new standard is coming out it might be a good chance to start. i was looking at java 3d today so that i can improve my java skills and learn some basic concepts of 3d but i dont know if that is what im looking for in future.

im still at my 2nd year at uni and one of my teachers keeps pushing me to stay in java and he sad to me that once are a very good java programmer you can easy learn C++.

this year i will learn some C because we have a unit Operating Systems and i want to use that and start programming in C++.

what i alos like is operating systems and parallel programming. i still dont know what to do or what to chose for future but i guess i have to wait for this year desertion topics, if there is not one that suits me then i should look into masters.

thanks

i also forgot to tell i am using Gentoo linux most of the time (for like last 3-4months)and i believe i will stay with linux ( because i need to learn by my self OS and kernels and we have a OS unit this year) besides using windows a lot Edited by Lum-X

Advertisement
If you choose to stay with Java, I would recommend http://lwjgl.org A quite straight forward OpgenGL wrapper both used by RuneScape and Minecraft. And yes OpenGL in Java is the same as OpenGL in any other language! Java3D is pretty much dead afaik. If you want a high level 3D library for Java you should look at http://jmonkeyengine.com/ which is based on LWJGL.

So yeah stay with Java if you want to learn 3D. Try C++ if you want to learn 3D with C++. But I see no reason for you to switch, unless you insist on learning a new language right now.

I don't know much about it, but. Know there's JOGL, an OpenGL binding for Java, so you can stay with Java and learn 3D programming if you wanted to.

well i guess i will stay with java but what it i want to do low lever programming or i should;d leave ti for now and learn basics :P. i guess i have to learn gpu assambler and C/C++. but i guess its better listening to the teachers since they know more than me ATM :P

what about JOGL is that any better than lwjgl.

Hidden

well i guess i will stay with java but what it i want to do low lever programming or i should;d leave ti for now and learn basics :P. i guess i have to learn gpu assambler and C/C++. but i guess its better listening to the teachers since they know more than me ATM :P

what about JOGL is that any better than lwjgl.

There is no need to ever use "gpu assembler" or assembly in general with regards to game programming for 99.99999999999% of applications (read anything you will probably ever ever do). C/C++ are not good choices for a beginner language and you would be wise not to worry about them for right now.

Why not use something like JMonkeyEngine 3 with Java? It will save you a ton of time and effort.

You wont get any lower on the gpu than OpenGL, whether you use an OpenGL wrapper for Java or C++. There are a ton of discussions whether to use jogl or lwjgl, and the best conclusion I've ever seen is that lwjgl has been used for several commercial games. I prefer lwjgl, but to be honest I've never tried jogl, and I don't mean to - the site doesn't look as inviting as lwjgl, and I've never experienced any problems with lwjgl.

So a quick answer to your question would probably be no.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!