• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Aluthreney

I'm not sure where to start

This topic is 2638 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm planning on building a small 3D game for a school project that I have to hand in, in about two years. Basically, the game is a FPS with swords. The setting of the game is a medium, circular arena. Since this is a fighting game against a computer, I want to add some AI to the computer so that he doesn't just run up to you and hit you until you die. Anyway, I want to study AI, but I have no idea what to study. Can anyone help me out or give me some topics (related to AI) that can be approprietly implemented in my game?

Advertisement

Basically, the game is a FPS with swords.

Well, that's a contradiction if I ever heard one. Haha

Anyway, I want to study AI, but I have no idea what to study. Can anyone help me out or give me some topics (related to AI) that can be approprietly implemented in my game?

[/quote]

I, as well as many other people on this forum, recommend the book Programming Game AI By Example by Mat Buckland.
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Game-Example-Mat-Buckland/dp/1556220782

[color="#1C2837"][color="#000000"][quote name='Aluthreney' timestamp='1316794216' post='4865183']
Basically, the game is a FPS with swords.

[color="#1C2837"]Well, that's a contradiction if I ever heard one. Haha[/quote]

It does exist, e.g. Dark Messiah.

The point being, it's not a "shooter". Of course, it could be a "First-person Slasher" and still be "FPS" unsure.gif

Anyway, there are plenty of books you can read that will get you started on AI. There is a sticky post at the top of this forum that has many of the primary ones listed.

It's a lot of work, though!

If you are comfortable with algorithms and data structures then go for Programming Game AI by Example, otherwise learn that first with Introduction to Algorithms the MIT book.

You should know C++ too.

You also need basic math/physics reasoning, nothing scary though the author explains very well, but still you need lot of patience.

I spent already 3 weeks just working on this book, probably I will work on it for two more weeks on the last 4 chapters. So be patient with it, but it is worth it. Good luck.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!