I'm not sure where to start

Started by
4 comments, last by calculemus1988 12 years, 6 months ago
I'm planning on building a small 3D game for a school project that I have to hand in, in about two years. Basically, the game is a FPS with swords. The setting of the game is a medium, circular arena. Since this is a fighting game against a computer, I want to add some AI to the computer so that he doesn't just run up to you and hit you until you die. Anyway, I want to study AI, but I have no idea what to study. Can anyone help me out or give me some topics (related to AI) that can be approprietly implemented in my game?

Aluthreney -- the King of sheep.

Advertisement

Basically, the game is a FPS with swords.

Well, that's a contradiction if I ever heard one. Haha

Anyway, I want to study AI, but I have no idea what to study. Can anyone help me out or give me some topics (related to AI) that can be approprietly implemented in my game?

[/quote]

I, as well as many other people on this forum, recommend the book Programming Game AI By Example by Mat Buckland.
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Game-Example-Mat-Buckland/dp/1556220782
Co-founder/Lead Programmer
Bonafide Software, L.L.C.
Fairmont, WV 26554 US
[color="#1C2837"][color="#000000"][quote name='Aluthreney' timestamp='1316794216' post='4865183']
Basically, the game is a FPS with swords.

[color="#1C2837"]Well, that's a contradiction if I ever heard one. Haha[/quote]

It does exist, e.g. Dark Messiah.
The point being, it's not a "shooter". Of course, it could be a "First-person Slasher" and still be "FPS" unsure.gif

Anyway, there are plenty of books you can read that will get you started on AI. There is a sticky post at the top of this forum that has many of the primary ones listed.

It's a lot of work, though!

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

oops, sorry, I'm slow today :)
If you are comfortable with algorithms and data structures then go for Programming Game AI by Example, otherwise learn that first with Introduction to Algorithms the MIT book.

You should know C++ too.

You also need basic math/physics reasoning, nothing scary though the author explains very well, but still you need lot of patience.

I spent already 3 weeks just working on this book, probably I will work on it for two more weeks on the last 4 chapters. So be patient with it, but it is worth it. Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement