• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
way2lazy2care

getting frequency of events (Now with some extra info)

This topic is 2637 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I have some ever growing amount of data that is being constantly collected, and I'm trying to graph it using WPF. For the most part I can draw simple lines etc, but for some reason I'm having trouble convincing myself of the best way to convert these events into more useful and compact data.

The thing that's kind of boggling my mind is that we are getting individual events, and I am trying to graph the frequency of those events over time with dynamic ranges. Really I only need ~500 data points to make a pretty informative graph. The issue I'm having is figuring out how to translate all of these events into the 500ish data points in a manor that is reasonable to performance and how to do it without wasting a lot of memory.

My slight inclination is to just do a binary search over the data (potentially millions of events) to find the lowest index in the given time range needed, the highest time range neeeded, and also to populate the count of the different points (around 500 points). The potential problem with that is also that I'm not sure how frequently I need to be doing that. Obviously I could do it every render, which seems wasteful. I could also only do it every time the scale increases or decreases significantly.

Does anybody have any experience/insight that might point out if this is dumb/ok/could be done a much simpler way?

edit: just wanted to edit and update this with some cool stuff I found since I always get so pissed when I stumble on things asking my questions with no answers.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.117.6209&rep=rep1&type=pdf

This is a pdf (hopefully the link works) that goes into detail about the method they use. It seems like my above idea was part of the solution, but it was figuring out how often you re-sort or update. Some interesting stuff in there.

Advertisement

Any particular reason you can't stream your data to a CSV file and use Excel to chart it?

mostly because the app I'm making is a dedicated app for telemetry viewing of which the graph is only a small, but useful part. It's significantly more useful to view the smaller bits of data in the context of where it fit into the whole mass of data.

Fair enough :-)

Look into methods for histogram generation. If I understand your OP correctly that's the family of techniques you'll want to explore.

Fair enough :-)

Look into methods for histogram generation. If I understand your OP correctly that's the family of techniques you'll want to explore.

it's crazy how helpful just knowing the right words to plug into google can be. Next generation search engines will know what I want, not what I ask for!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!