• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

promo

OpenGL Custom OpenGL Transformations

This topic is 6237 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys I have seen that many 3d games use their own form of 3d transforms. examples - in unreal tourmnament you can sometimes see a weapon or dead body through the ceiling (doesn''t happen with normal transforms), or in Oni (anyone knows this game?) when an object like a box is supposed to hide your view it becomes transparent and you see through the insides of it (which means that it''s front side is flipped). Is there any good reason to use your own transformations - advanced matrix manipulation etc. - or does OpenGL suffice for everything? if so, how do you do it? -------------------- so, what you''''re saying is, that the mushroom spores were brought in from outer space by - who??

Advertisement
yes if u want to know where something is in world space do it. reasons why u would want to know this. collision detection, special effects etc

Guest Anonymous Poster
so does that mean that I transform all coords into world-coords, and then pass those coordinates to OpenGL? I thought that something like that would slow my game considerably...

... and maintain two sets of coords - local and world?
did I get this right?

--------------------
so, what you''''re saying is, that the mushroom spores were brought in from outer space by - who?? -cosmosis

with regards to collision testing
most games use much simpler models to model the player eg most FPS''s just use a few boxes (called bounding box) thus not to transform.
though even still with q3a + UT i believe they transformed every vertice into world space before they gave them to the api. but with newer stuff i dont think they''ll be doing this, cause hardware t+l cards have become much more common + now we''re talking many thousands of vertices not just a few thousand.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!