Did game programming for teens third edition rip me off?

Started by
13 comments, last by slynk 12 years, 6 months ago
So I finally got the book and was excited that I can begin to do some programming. I downloaded the demo of blitz and had a good time reading, but by the time I was on page 12 something weird happened. I got the program blitz and by the time I clicked the program, it said that my 30 - day got expired! So I was looking all over the web , but their was nothing that talked about it but people with similar problem and gotten no answers. SO what do I do?
Advertisement

So I finally got the book and was excited that I can begin to do some programming. I downloaded the demo of blitz and had a good time reading, but by the time I was on page 12 something weird happened. I got the program blitz and by the time I clicked the program, it said that my 30 - day got expired! So I was looking all over the web (pirate bay, communities), but their was nothing that talked about it but people with similar problem and gotten no answers. SO what do I do?

So, the book depends on you purchasing a licence for a piece of software to be useful? Are you sure it doesn't include a licence in the book or something?

It does seem like a dirty trick to get kids to buy stuff.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!

[quote name='UMULAStudios' timestamp='1316824166' post='4865350']
So I finally got the book and was excited that I can begin to do some programming. I downloaded the demo of blitz and had a good time reading, but by the time I was on page 12 something weird happened. I got the program blitz and by the time I clicked the program, it said that my 30 - day got expired! So I was looking all over the web (pirate bay, communities), but their was nothing that talked about it but people with similar problem and gotten no answers. SO what do I do?

So, the book depends on you purchasing a licence for a piece of software to be useful? Are you sure it doesn't include a licence in the book or something?

[/quote]

I never knew about the 30 day program, I never even heard about it, that it just provided with a CD of the program that it was doing. Wow, I think that was a dirty trick, more messed up that I got the book from this website.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/books/index.html/_/for-beginners-21/game-programming-for-teens-r720

Now I'm pissed that I have to buy the program blitz that doesn't sell anymore because of how old it is. D:<

[quote name='speciesUnknown' timestamp='1316824413' post='4865352']
[quote name='UMULAStudios' timestamp='1316824166' post='4865350']

[/quote]

I never knew about the 30 day program, I never even heard about it, that it just provided with a CD of the program that it was doing. Wow, I think that was a dirty trick, more messed up that I got the book from this website.

http://www.gamedev.n...-for-teens-r720

Now I'm pissed that I have to buy the program blitz that doesn't sell anymore because of how old it is. D:<
[/quote]

Well, I'm sorry for your loss (of money). I hope you've learned a valuable lesson about books on a general subject which only work with a specific piece of proprietary software. It does clearly say that it includes only a demo version of blitzmax.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Download and use this IDE instead: http://sourceforge.n...s/blitzmax-ide/
Then continue to follow the book.

If that doesn't work, immediately return the book. Usually bookstores allow you to return the book unless it comes with a CD. Even if it comes with a CD, ask to speak to a manager, and explain (politely) that the book is a borderline scam, and requires the additional purchase of a $60 piece of software online to actually be usable. They might not give a refund, but hey, ask for store credit instead, and purchase a different programming book. Be persistent, but be polite.

Learn Python. Get a beginner's book for python instead.
[color="#1C2837"]"And the CD-ROM contains all the source code, art and sound files, and demo versions of BlitzMax and the other programs used in the book. So don't just play video games, build your own, with Game Programming for Teens, Third Edition!"
[color="#1C2837"]
[color="#1C2837"]Reading everything on the back cover can be important you know, so don't take it as being ripped off - take it as a lesson to be more considerate next time you decide to buy a textbook like this (and btw, I always found it fucking ridiculous to call it 'for Teens' - I was reading similar, and more advanced material, in my pre-teen years god damn it!)
[color="#1C2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]EDIT: Come to think of it, I used to own one of these 'for Teens' book - but not the programming one; rather the one on 3D modeling. Now THAT was a fucking rip-off - useless 'self-teaching' bullshit that basically told you where to put your values so you can follow their extremely rigid structure to complete a model that you can't because you failed to read their pt. 8 text in grayscale that was on that oh-so-clear-as-day picture they provided so graciously. No, they just couldn't put the values in the text - after all, why do the work for you? It's so much more fun when it's a guessing game!
[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]Actually, if this book is anything like that then toss it out the window and torch it. Not worth the trouble. Otherwise, the IDE suggestion might come in handy.
[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

Download and use this IDE instead: http://sourceforge.n...s/blitzmax-ide/
Then continue to follow the book.

If that doesn't work, immediately return the book. Usually bookstores allow you to return the book unless it comes with a CD. Even if it comes with a CD, ask to speak to a manager, and explain (politely) that the book is a borderline scam, and requires the additional purchase of a $60 piece of software online to actually be usable. They might not give a refund, but hey, ask for store credit instead, and purchase a different programming book. Be persistent, but be polite.

Learn Python. Get a beginner's book for python instead.

Can't get the file to work... Still looking for ways. Also, I'm already ordering math books online, so I think asking my dad to order python books will take a while. :P
I GOT IT. I used run administrator as and the system works! I think there is a glitch that makes the 29 days in to 30 days, XD.

Can't get the file to work... Still looking for ways. Also, I'm already ordering math books online, so I think asking my dad to order python books will take a while. :P

Don't forget also that there are alot of very good tutorials online. I learn mostly by online tutorials, articles, and forums and then supplemented by books, not vice-versa. Saves alot of money that way, even when it's someone else's money. smile.gif

[quote name='UMULAStudios' timestamp='1316830083' post='4865375']

Don't forget also that there are alot of very good tutorials online. I learn mostly by online tutorials, articles, and forums and then supplemented by books, not vice-versa. Saves alot of money that way, even when it's someone else's money. smile.gif
[/quote]

This is awesome advice. Books are horrible for learning something as dynamic as programming languages, especially game development APIs which are changing on a regular basis. The internet is a very large library, not all information you find will be accurate, but it's constantly being updated with new information. The only books I'd say are worth it are all advanced subjects like what you find in series like GPU Gems and Game Programming Gems, not at all useful for a newb, but once your up to that level invaluable resources.

As for specific websites to check, that depends on the language.
- CProgramming.com is awesome for C/C++ all the way from newb to advanced. This one website has put every C/C++ book I've ever purchased to shame.
- csharp-station seems really nice for C#, found that a few days ago for my brother whom wanted to learn C# after seeing some of the code I was working with. He's been able to pick up the basics pretty fast from those tutorials, well enough to write up simple console based programs that parse user input and respond to it like a text based game.

I'd really recommend starting with a language like C#. It's supported so well by Visual Studio, even the free Express version, that a lot of newb mistakes are caught on-the-fly while your typing or when you hit Build. The debugger is so tightly integrated that it's rare the IDE doesn't jump within 10 lines of where the error actually occurred so you spend much less time on finding bugs and more time fixing them. The first language will be hard to learn, not uncommon to spend a year or two learning your first programming language but weeks or months learning additional languages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement