Transferring game from Console App. to something else?

Started by
4 comments, last by eagv 12 years, 7 months ago
Hello,

I am new into game programming, but I am proficient with writing general codes for a variety of purposes, most of the times using C/C++/C# language.

Some time ago, I started programing a text-based Role Playing Game (RPG)... using the Console Application on Microsoft Visual C# 2008. Of course, being a console application, it has no graphics at all.. it just consists of a black-colored window with white sentences which kind of describes you what is happening during a battle. Menus to choose a move or technique are shaped using characters from the keyboard.

The thing is, I have advanced so much that today I have a really long code, containing good enough logic that can carry over several elements any RPG game could have! I have built a gauge system for the taking of turns among battle participants.. I have designed and tested algorithms to have decent calculations of infliction/absorption of damage... I have even added over 25 good/bad status ailments and seem to work perfectly as of this day!

But then.. I got to think, why leaving it as a boring text-based game? After almost a year on working on its logic and finally running out of ideas, I am starting to feel that it does not deserve to stay like that... and therefore I would like to start adding some graphics to this.. and make it into a real RPG battle game!

The help I need from you all is just to guide me: where should I start? I would like to empathize that my code is entirely based on the Console Application for Microsoft Visual C# 2008.. and I am not sure if this has a big effect on the transition to XNA, Flash, Silverlight, Java.. by the way, I have heard of these four at the moment.. but have never used them at all! Which one should I choose to start adding graphics, and why?

Although something secondary and not a priority, I would like in the future to upload the game to my own website.. just a comment!

I have attached some images of my Console Application based game so that you can see what I have..

Thank you a lot for your attention, hope you are able to help me!

[attachment=5565:1.jpg]
[attachment=5566:2.jpg]
[attachment=5567:3.jpg]
[attachment=5568:4.jpg]
[attachment=5569:5.jpg]
Advertisement

Hello,

I am new into game programming, but I am proficient with writing general codes for a variety of purposes, most of the times using C/C++/C# language.

Some time ago, I started programing a text-based Role Playing Game (RPG)... using the Console Application on Microsoft Visual C# 2008. Of course, being a console application, it has no graphics at all.. it just consists of a black-colored window with white sentences which kind of describes you what is happening during a battle. Menus to choose a move or technique are shaped using characters from the keyboard.

The thing is, I have advanced so much that today I have a really long code, containing good enough logic that can carry over several elements any RPG game could have! I have built a gauge system for the taking of turns among battle participants.. I have designed and tested algorithms to have decent calculations of infliction/absorption of damage... I have even added over 25 good/bad status ailments and seem to work perfectly as of this day!

But then.. I got to think, why leaving it as a boring text-based game? After almost a year on working on its logic and finally running out of ideas, I am starting to feel that it does not deserve to stay like that... and therefore I would like to start adding some graphics to this.. and make it into a real RPG battle game!

The help I need from you all is just to guide me: where should I start? I would like to empathize that my code is entirely based on the Console Application for Microsoft Visual C# 2008.. and I am not sure if this has a big effect on the transition to XNA, Flash, Silverlight, Java.. by the way, I have heard of these four at the moment.. but have never used them at all! Which one should I choose to start adding graphics, and why?

Although something secondary and not a priority, I would like in the future to upload the game to my own website.. just a comment!

I have attached some images of my Console Application based game so that you can see what I have..

Thank you a lot for your attention, hope you are able to help me!

[attachment=5565:1.jpg]
[attachment=5566:2.jpg]
[attachment=5567:3.jpg]
[attachment=5568:4.jpg]
[attachment=5569:5.jpg]

the 4 things you mentioned are different things!
silverlight is a web framework for .NET
XNA is a game framework
java is a programming language with an in-built graphics library
flash is a scripting language but im not sure at all

so you if you wanna use c/c++ u can choose between two 2d libraries:
sdl
gdi+(windows)

me myself started in programming java cause its a simple language to get started with graphics etc..
c++ is more difficult because of memory managment and so on.

read some introductions to different technologys and then decide what you wanna use. you can also change the technology every time, if you dont like the actual one.
so you if you wanna use c/c++ u can choose between two 2d libraries:
sdl
gdi+(windows)[/quote]

That isn't fully right. Sure, you can go for SDL, which has an OpenGL backend, but since you've written your game in C# already I would suggest using XNA (=DirectX 9).
It is indeed a game-framework and can be used for 3D games, but there is nothing which restricts you from doing 2D with it. You don't have to go for 2D, though.
You may want 3D at some time. And then you've got everything what you need already there.

Rewriting your game in Java or Flash wouldn't be what you want. Go for XNA :)
Hi,

I thank you for your answers. I think I will start studying XNA then. :)

One more question though: can XNA create online games such that any user accessing my webpage can instantly play such game without doing any file download?

Thank you.
One more question though: can XNA create online games such that any user accessing my webpage can instantly play such game without doing any file download?[/quote]

No, it can't. For this you'd really have to rewrite the whole thing in Java or Flash. But you can go for the Xbox360 with XNA :)

One more question though: can XNA create online games such that any user accessing my webpage can instantly play such game without doing any file download?

No, it can't. For this you'd really have to rewrite the whole thing in Java or Flash. But you can go for the Xbox360 with XNA :)
[/quote]

Oh, cool! I'll read a bit on that then. Thanks a lot!! :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement