• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
diablo393

what software he used

This topic is 2639 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello new here,

could please help in the link is project done using microcontroller which sends data to pc, then software is used to display this data and also control game function.

http://jmtc.ls1howto.com/

I have emailed the guy to ask him what software he use to display data and game development software.

He has not got back, so my question is.

1 what software has he used or could be used to develop such good interface.

2 Also is the bike model (animation) developed in seperate packagee such as maya or 3ds

3 also how would data be collected.

Advertisement

hello new here,

could please help in the link is project done using microcontroller which sends data to pc, then software is used to display this data and also control game function.

http://jmtc.ls1howto.com/

I have emailed the guy to ask him what software he use to display data and game development software.

He has not got back, so my question is.

1 what software has he used or could be used to develop such good interface.

2 Also is the bike model (animation) developed in seperate packagee such as maya or 3ds

3 also how would data be collected.

Without asking the guy its not possible to know exactly what he used, but we can guess.

I would use my arduino, hooked into the tachometer of the exercise bike, to determine the distance travelled. As for rendering the animations and so forth there are many possibilities.

hello thanks for reply,

yes i think it would be guess, but i have no knoweledge of graphics animation games dev.

so could you please list possibilties,

or this what i think he has used c++ to collect data at comms port, or usb port, then i think he used c++/c# with games engine or graphics engine such as direct3d or xna or open gl. the animation of bike i think is done in 3ds or maya.

please excuse my lack knowledge if am wrong, or would it be possible to use the above to do somethink similar to what he has achieved on pc end of project.

He could have used anything.

And he doesn't really have to have used anything special above any standard 3D api (opengl, XNA, whatever)

same with modeling, doesn't matter if he used maya or blender, or even got the models and textures from some free 3d model library.
Same thing could be achieved.

Why do you need to know anyway?

thanks for reply,

i wish to do something similar but not involving bike just interface that is similar as it looks really good.

to collect data of motor speed and control aspeects.

i have done some c++ few year back so was hoping to use that and xna as i have found some tutorials on this api with c++/c#.

and would like to create some models or animations, which was hoping to use maya or 3ds.

so suppose would the same interface and models and 3d effects be created using the above c++/c#. XNA, and maya or 3ds. Dont want to start learning them and realise that it cannot be created using the software stated.

C++ can be used for the driver development and the client program. XNA (and therefore, C#) programs can talk to device drivers by using the standard Win32 File APIs and DeviceIOControl. However, note that the Win32 native libraries are not available on other XNA platforms such as XBOX360 or Phone7.

The most difficult part (on the software side) is not the client program (which displays the user interface) but the development of the firmware and the corresponding driver. You need to develop a message protocol that sends and receives data packets from/to the device. That said, in this type of project, the packets need not be very complex nor the packet types very numerous.

ANY library with which you can render 3D graphics can be used to implement an user interface similar to the one mentioned in the first post - be it D3D, XNA, OpenGL or whatever. Also, any modeling program that can export models (which means practically all of them) can be used to create the 3D models. The models in the pictures of the article are not even terribly complex.

If you use an Arduino board, its firmware can be programmed in a C-based language. This makes it relatively painless to develop the device-side code but you still need to take into account the limitations of the device in terms of memory, IO terminals and processing power, as compared to the client computer.

On hardware side, you need at least basic understanding of digital and analog electronics (to generally connect stuff to the chip) and sensors (to gather physical data to digital form).

The hardware doesn't have to be very complicated
Using an arduino you should be able to put it together in an afternoon or two if you know your way around electronics.
The microcontroller just needs to interpret a few digital/analog signals from the sensors, and stream this information to the serial port or usb.
Could maybe constantly stream small packages marked with sensor id, as fast as it can, and let the pc side consume what it needs.
If you want it battery powered, you might want some kind of polling though, to make it less power consuming.
Processing, (the programming language used in the arduino lab software) is pretty nice to work with, and you can get a lot of help on the forums and example snippets

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!