• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GigaDrillBreak

Trying to make a game for the first time, need some help

This topic is 2637 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I just joined.
I'm now working on my first game. It's a 2D platformer built around a unique gameplay mechanic. I have a programmer I'm working with and I'm drawing out some ideas for level designs.
However, I'm a bit unclear on how doing art for a game works. Do I draw sprites in MS Paint? How exactly does one go about creating art for a game? And where can I find somebody who can create game art? Does it have to be a pixel artist who can draw characters out of pixels in applications like MS Paint, or can anyone who can draw produce art that can be used in the game? I really don't know how game art works so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Hi, I just joined.
I'm now working on my first game. It's a 2D platformer built around a unique gameplay mechanic. I have a programmer I'm working with and I'm drawing out some ideas for level designs.
However, I'm a bit unclear on how doing art for a game works. Do I draw sprites in MS Paint? How exactly does one go about creating art for a game? And where can I find somebody who can create game art? Does it have to be a pixel artist who can draw characters out of pixels in applications like MS Paint, or can anyone who can draw produce art that can be used in the game? I really don't know how game art works so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

This is a question you need to put to your programmer. For 2D games I mostly use transparent .png files (because you can layer things on top of one another) however there are other options. But your art format is really dependant on what engine/language/programmer you are using.

As far as art is concerned, there are many places to try:

- TigSource Artists
- Pixelation - Index
- http://www.pixeljoint.com/
- Game Artist Forums

Are just a few.

The most import things you need to decide immediately are size based. How big is your game? How big are your sprites? Artists need this information in order to judge how much work is involved in a piece. As far as style goes; each artist is individual but most prefer a particular style. Its up to you at the end of the day to decide how you want the game to look (and sketching is a great way to communicate this to artists).

However you may want to produce some art yourself - paint is fine but there are lots of free programs with a little more utility, like gimp or paint.net

Try discussing with your programmer what file types they need and giving him some placeholder art so he can get started, whilst you search for an artist.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!