• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Volux

Language to learn first?

This topic is 2635 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I have decided to take on the task of learning a programming language or two to start in order to create some games or whatnot.

I have been learning from http://www.thenewboston.com/, from the JAVA section to learn Java.

Do you think java is a good language to learn first for game programming? I understand I won't get into the game aspects until I finish the 60-some video tutorials this guy has, and then the Intermediate java tutorials. But just looking for some input.

Thanks!

Advertisement
How do you like Java so far?

If it isn't immensely annoying, carry on smile.gif There's plenty of time to add other languages to your repertoire later on, and what's most important for now is getting a good solid understanding of the fundamentals without getting bogged down in arcane details of whatever language you're learning. Java is a decent choice.

The flip side, of course, is that if you feel like Java is a problem, feel free to switch to something else!

I'm learning the basics, and it really seems as if what I have learned means absolutely nothing. I understand that you have to learn how variables work and strings and such, but when am I going to actually put it together and do something that seems worth my time?

Haha no man, I understand what you mean and I like how you said it.

That's entirely true.

But would you suggest I continue to learn it from the tutorials or what? Where did you learn java (if you know it?), and if not, where did you learn your other stuff at?

I know some HTML and CSS but really want to get into the hardcore depths of game programming. I realize I cannot just GET there without learning the basics and stuff, but I want to get there and learn it from a good source that teaches me what I need to know, rather than a bunch of useless crap.

Forget other people's suggestions for a minute. Think about it this way: you want to learn programming? Yes. Does the tutorial you're currently using teach programming? Yes? Good, looks like you're on the right path.

What exactly do you mean by useless crap? Virtually nothing that you can ever learn is useless crap. You can't be a well rounded programmer by knowing merely the things you require. Programmers are not assembly lines; if they were, they would have been replaced by machines long ago.

Well I guess I didn't really mean "useless crap", but I want to get to things that will push me towards to way of learning game programming rather than overall programming of any and all types of software that uses java.

I'd like to think that game programming is not only general programming, but a whole lot more in addition. So if you want to crank out any games, you'll need to learn to program first :)

Making full rounded games will require sound, graphics, physics, I/O, and so much more (networking ... oh my lord). Much more than making trivial programs does. If you're making any kind of 2D or higher RPG game, you'll need to build level designers which means those GUI coding skills would come in handy too :) Now, you don't have to follow the tutorial all the way through. Once you learn how to put up some graphics on the screen, you'll probably have enough know-how to put out pong or snake or something like that.

The difference between you and the general programmer is that you may choose to work on different kinds of programs (as ApochPIQ mentioned). While the accountant may create data sheets with his knew knowledge of classes, you might make pong.

So where would you suggest I go from here to get into 2d games and rpgs, or even simple games like pong and learning how to put graphics on the screen? Java? Will java teach me how to put graphics on the screen, or am I missing some language here that teaches me these skills?

Thanks for the help guys, I REALLY appreciate it. Just a 16 year old with a goal. :P

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!