Does a browser based game have to be on Facebook to be successful?

Started by
6 comments, last by driftingSpaceMan 12 years, 6 months ago
I was just getting into learning Facebook development, thinking of a small browser based game. Now, I'm late to the game and Facebook is going to make everyone get an SSL. I'm on Bluehost and i think that also means getting a static IP address. That's more than I can do right now. Is my game doomed to fail because I won't be on Facebook as an integrated app? using Iframe, I mean. Thanks for input.
Advertisement
I don't think so, many games on the frontpage of NewGrounds are really successful, and they're not on Facebook.

Of course it may also depend on what you mean by successful, like monetization...

I don't think so, many games on the frontpage of NewGrounds are really successful, and they're not on Facebook.

Of course it may also depend on what you mean by successful, like monetization...

I mean it makes money.

I mean it makes money.

There are tons of places to make money online. It's just that you need to be aware of the different markets depending on where you release them and the monetization strategies that accompany them. Releasing a game on kongregate will have a payout structure that might favor rapid development where facebook might favor more thought out development. These are just arbitrary examples, not accurate to reality for either service.

I do know that if you make kongregate games it's more than reasonable to make a decent amount of money if you do rapid development.
No. But it can help.

Suggest this might be better in the Business forum?

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

Depends on the game quality. You can probably get away with a more cheaply made game becoming successfull on Facebook than it's own domain. Civony got pretty big for a while. I don't exactly know if they made a profit but its probably still going. Also, advertising your game on Facebook is a whole lot cheaper and reaches a wider audience than a adsense box on some blog.
Read http://sloperama.com...e/article60.htm

You need to publish it somewhere, even if that means on your own personal web site or standing outside Walmart selling your own discs.

Facebook as a platform has a very large user base and publishing on it is fairly easy. However, it is not the only way to publish. There are many other viable options as discussed in that FAQ.
Absolutely not. It would be a good idea to have a facebook page for your game, but there's no reason it needs to launch from facebook. Of course, it does depend to some degree on the type of game you're making. There are some games that would not do as well outside of the confines of a social network (e.g. non-gamer gamer).

The lack of many counter-examples is probably just due to the extreme ease with which games have been getting on facebook. If you had a browser based game, why would you not put it on facebook?

At least, until now...

I wouldn't sweat it. If you make a really good product, it will go viral as long as it's relatively easy to run (just don't make it too difficult for people to try).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement