• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Civilwar

Name for MMORPG

This topic is 2437 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I need to find a name for my simple MMORPG. What is it like?

• Two teams (about 20 people each) trying to defeat the other camp.
  • Everyone can choose one "job" - lumberjack, farmer, builder etc. and one "main weapon" - sword, bow or spell

I just can't find any suitable name. Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisement
Well a lot of games tend to get their title from their lore. Whats the name of the world its set on or some other crucial thing in its story?

You can of course name it after some central part to the game-play (Rift is an example of a game that has done this) but i can't think of one from the info in your post.

Also MMOGs then to put online or even world in their name so that people know from just reading the name if its an MMOG or not.

Well a lot of games tend to get their title from their lore. Whats the name of the world its set on or some other crucial thing in its story?

You can of course name it after some central part to the game-play (Rift is an example of a game that has done this) but i can't think of one from the info in your post.

Also MMOGs then to put online or even world in their name so that people know from just reading the name if its an MMOG or not.

I don't have any story yet :(

Edit: I asked Cleverbot to help me with the name. After complaining he said: Cuttlefish, Tinntinabulation, Console advert, Chartreuse, Skittles. This guy is kinda smart :D

[quote name='Bigdeadbug' timestamp='1317049801' post='4866087']

I don't have any story yet :(

Edit: I asked Cleverbot to help me with the name. After complaining he said: Cuttlefish, Tinntinabulation, Console advert, Chartreuse, Skittles. This guy is kinda smart :D

[/quote]

Start by making the game, it doesn't make any sense at all to pick the name before you even know what the game is about.

Start by making the game, it doesn't make any sense at all to pick the name before you even know what the game is about.

"I don't have a story" doesn't mean "I don't have a game". Also, I've written exactly what the game is about.

If that's literally all the game is about, and you don't have a lore or backstory or anything, then the names that come to mind include "Annihilation," "There Can Be Only One," "Wipeout," "Conquest," "War For Survival," "Build And Destroy," "The Foe Must Die," "Warcraft" [oops -- been done, strike that one], "It's Us Or Them," "Burndown," "Rampage," "They're In Our Way!" "Struggle," "No Compromise," "This World Ain't Big Enough," or "Plowshares To Swords." Hopefully one of those will work or at least give you some ideas.

Naming and branding for public release and advertisement is often one of the last things done. projects have working titles to be referred to internally, but aren't often finalized until they're being published.

I'd say stick with something simple. "Apprentice war" or the like. The name is not very important until you're making advertisements for players.

Hi,

I need to find a name for my simple MMORPG. What is it like?

• Two teams (about 20 people each) trying to defeat the other camp.
  • Everyone can choose one "job" - lumberjack, farmer, builder etc. and one "main weapon" - sword, bow or spellI just can't find any suitable name. Any ideas?

Thanks

Camps of peasents (COP) Battle Campers......

This. With my games, I usually don't even think about the final name until the story and dialogue are at least 3/4 of the way fleshed out. IMO, it's only around that point that you can come up with a name that encompasses the entirety of the game, not just the concept you have when you first start developing.

I say come up with a codename for now ("Project Tinntinabulation," naturally!), and worry about the final name when you're much further along.

A combination of FPS and RTS and RPG? Hmmm. Good potential. Add strategy towards strengthening your allies to improve your chances in battle. Are you leaning more towards death match or something else in regards to PVP?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!