• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
theoutfield

std::Map items as Global Properties

This topic is 2633 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have an std::map container in my code that maps strings to integers. I want to declare global variables in Angelscript so that the variable names are basically a pointer back to the item in the map. I have been successful doing this with the following code.

typedef std::map<std::string, int> MAPSTR_TO_INT;

void CRTScript::AddVariables(MAPSTR_TO_INT &theMap)
{

std::string itemName;
MAPSTR_TO_INT::iterator it;

for (it=theMap.begin(); it != theMap.end(); it++)
{
itemName.erase();
itemName = "int ";
itemName += it->first;

engine->RegisterGlobalProperty(myPoint.c_str(), &theMap[ it->first]) ;
}
}

I'm just not sure this is the best way to do this. Any thoughts? (No item will ever be deleted from the map so I'm not worried about a dangling pointer.)

What I am actually doing here is equivalent to the following

std::map<string, int> someMap;

someMap['Value1"] = 1;
someMap["Value2"] = 2;

Each of the items will then be registered in Angel script using the code above as

int Value1;
int Value2;

The script can then modify the values
Value1 = 100;

Advertisement
If what you're looking for is global and persistent configuration values, then I can't think of a better way to do it tbh. If that is what you're doing, however, I would recommend using a variant datatype such as boost::any or any number of variant implementations. I actually implemented a rather useful variant in angelscript using a bitstream class I exposed to it which I may move to compiled code as a value type.

A bit more context could help us help you better.

Looking at my post I see my question was not properly stated. What I was really asking was if holding the pointer to an item in an std::map is legal code. I tried to break this with a small piece of code not linked to Angelscript where I inserted a bunch of items in a map. I then got a pointer to one item and deleted all of the other items. I inserted a bunch of other items and it appears that the pointer is still valid. I'm just not positive that it will be all of the time.

I would be interested in any more info you have on variants though. Are you using them with Angelscript?

For a std::map and other node-based standard library containers, holding a pointer to individual elements is legal. Such pointers will only be invalidated when the element is destroyed.

I am writing a variant for angelscript, yes. One I am sure it works well, I will be posting it here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!