• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
prachiRocks

XNA with Kinect

This topic is 2633 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I would like to develope a 3D game with input from Kinect. (eg. a 3D avatar which moves with the skeleton drawn using Kinect)..I read that XNA Game Studio does not support Kinect input.Is it true?

Is there any other way of developing 3D game with Kinect?Other than Unity, OpenSpace3D...

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Prachi

Advertisement
I might be wrong but I think there is an official Kinect SDK available for C#.
You might be able to write a kinect input component using this SDK and use it in your XNA application.

Edit: googling "Kinect sdk and xna", you'll find this link: http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/t/85214.aspx
I don't really have the time to check it but it might be what you need....

The answer is no - XNA does not directly support Kinect development. However, there is a Kinect Beta SDK that can be used to develop for C++ or for C#. There are a few caveats though:

1. The SDK will only install on Win7, since it uses specific speech recognition APIs that are only available there.
2. It must be used for non-commercial purposes.

If you are ok with those two items, then take a look at the SDK and give it a shot. I am currently in the process of getting the Kinect input built into my engine, and it seems to function fairly well without too much boilerplate code needed (at least on the C++ side). There are also several example programs that demonstrate how to do certain activities, so there is already most of the foot work done for you.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your answer...I already have the Kinect SDK installed...
Actually the aim is creating 3D avatars and superimposing them on the skeletons tracked using Kinect SDK APIs...using DirectX for this seems a bit
complicated (and I do not have enough knowledge on the topic to do that :P)...
I was thinking of using XNA for the same,but found that it does not support Kinect...So is there any other way to achieve this?

Thanks,
Prachi

The answer is no - XNA does not directly support Kinect development. However, there is a Kinect Beta SDK that can be used to develop for C++ or for C#. There are a few caveats though:

1. The SDK will only install on Win7, since it uses specific speech recognition APIs that are only available there.
2. It must be used for non-commercial purposes.

If you are ok with those two items, then take a look at the SDK and give it a shot. I am currently in the process of getting the Kinect input built into my engine, and it seems to function fairly well without too much boilerplate code needed (at least on the C++ side). There are also several example programs that demonstrate how to do certain activities, so there is already most of the foot work done for you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!